Network Printer Issue

Volfirefighter

Beta member
This is my setup:

I have a Linksys router attached to my cable modem. It has a LAN IP of 192.168.1.1 and assigns IP's in the range of 192.168.1.3 and up.

I have a D-Link wireless router in a seperate building hardwired to the first router with a WAN static IP of 192.168.1.2 and LAN IP of 192.168.0.1 and assigns IP's in the range of 192.168.0.2 and up.

All subnet masks are 255.255.255.0

I have a PC with a printer attached to the LPT port on the Linksys router and an IP of 192.168.1.3. Print sharing is enabled in Windows XP.

I have a laptop also with Windows XP that is on the D-Link router and has an IP of 192.168.0.2.

How do I get the laptop to "see" the printer so that I may set it up as an available network printer?

Prior to doing the steps below, confirm that you can ping the printer address of 192.168.1.3 from the computer you want to have the printer connect with and are getting replies ... not request timed out.

Start>>Control Panel>>(Category View)>>Printers & Other Hardware>>Printers & Faxes

Left column it should give the option to "Add Printer". Select Add Printer>>Next>>Select Local Printer Attached to this Computer (should already be selected) (Uncheck Automatically detect and install my Plug & Play printer)>>Next>>Create a new port>>Drop-down menu select Standard TCP/IP Port

Add Standard TCP/IP Port Wizard should come up>>Next>>Type in address 192.168.1.3 (Is this address static in the printer server? ... needs to be).

After entering the address click next and it should locate that printer at that address and prompt you for drivers. Have the disk handy (or get the drivers either from cd or manufacturer of printer's website and extract them to a share folder you can map to) and install them. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom