IM between computers on a network

Dishdog said:
I have 2 Windows pro SP2 computers on a wired network and was wondering if I could send a IM(instant message) the other computer.

I want be able to send one and have it pop up on the other computers screen. I don't want to use MSN messenger(or other IM program) because some one on the other computer would have to be signed in to it all the time.

He said he wanted to send an IM to another computer without an IM program... the net send command is not an IM program. It uses the Messenger service (not to be confused with Windows or MSN Messenger which are two different things) built into XP. Network admins use the net send command to broadcast a message to all or a particular computer/user in the network.

I researched lantoucher and it uses the messenger service, too.

For my previous post - quotes are needed when the message has spaces in them (Ex. net send JSmith "Hi Mr. Smith")

AnonymousI said:
He said he wanted to send an IM to another computer without an IM program... the net send command is not an IM program.

Sounds like the net command is perfect.

AnonymousI said:
For my previous post - quotes are needed when the message has spaces in them (Ex. net send JSmith "Hi Mr. Smith")

It works without quotes in that situation, as well.

AnonymousI said:
you can use the built in net command:

1. open command prompt
2. type "net send [name] "message"

replace [name] with the user name or computer name of the other computer/user

Ex:
(user name)
net send administrator "hi"
or
(computer name)
net send base-1 "hi"

*make sure the messenger service is enabled on both computers
*quotes are needed if message has spaces in them

I'll try it out. if i have any problems i will make sure i'll ask,thanks.

<EDIT> How do you check to see if it's enabled on each computer?
Also will a firewall block the message?

pcmxkeith said:
check >start>run> services " look for " messenger"

your quotes are a little messed up,lol. so in the run command i type in "services". if that is what i'm susposed to do then it doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom