linksys wrt54gs problems

ndsbass

Baseband Member
ok my linksys is being really gay. i had it working for a while but it was kinda iffy. frequent losses in the network. then i updated the firmware with the hyperwrt cabiblity and boosted the signal from 50% power to 62% so that i wouldnt get a loss in signal and it worked great for a while but now i keep getting losses every like 5 minutes. should i downgrade the firmware? or maybe its just the way my attenas are set up. any help appreciated thanks

where is the router located? i.e. down low near the ground behind a desk against the wall? Are there other appliances (washer/dryer) or concrete walls between the router and pc's? And pc's that need to connect ... distance from router?

Are you using windows utility to configure your wireless connection or linksys utility? I've never had success using third party wireless connection utilities. Seems I've have better luck with Windows utility.

its downstairs by a wall ontop of a desk by a window, and my wireless computer is upstairs nearly right above but about 20 feet off. the computer is also in a wooden fiberboard desk thing, and the wireless adapter is in the back. no appliances nearby kitchen is maybe 25ft away and washer and dryer about 50ft away.

the apater is a gigabyte wireless adapter, and it uses third party software although i have an option to switch to windows and windows seems to work a little bit worse. do you think this is a problem with the signal? what about a longer antenna? does the computer upstairs need to be situated in any certain way? will turning up the the antenna power help boost my link upstairs/can this lead to router damage? thanks for your help

There is a great difference between signal quality and signal strength. Signal quality is the quality of the data being transfered to and from the computer to the router. Signal strength is the strength of the connection to and from the router - the closer you are, the stronger the connection. However, having a strong connection doesnt necessarily mean you have an excellent signal quality.

In your case, however, you have a very good signal strength, but poor signal quality. I am in the same position as you - My router is about 15 ft below me and my computer is under a desk with low clearance. However, I do not have much performance issues.

Do you have any cordless phones around the house? Cordless phones degrade the signal quality dramatically even though it is not in use. These kinds of phones are operating about the same radio frequency as the router so there is very strong interference - think of it as running through an obstacle course. Any device that emits radio waves will impede signal quality.

My solution to you is to set the router to transmit at either channel 1, 6, or 11 (11 is best) and increase the antenna transmit power (at the cost of noise) on both the router and computer w/ wifi device.

thanks for the reply, and i totally forgot about my phone, but its running the same frequency as my router, plus the base station is right next to my router, so that could cause a problem. thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom