shared internet with hub/switch after router?????

ndsbass

Baseband Member
ok i was at my friends house the other week and he has three computers, the first one is up stairs and connected to a router for internet access. that makes perfect sense to me, but when we went downstairs i was extremely confused. he has a hub?( i think its a hub vs a switch) and he had one of the ports from the router upstairs plugged into his hub/switch which was then sharing internet access with his two computers downstairs. they were both on at the same time and could both access teh internet simultaneously. now im confused because i was under the impression that a hub/switch could not be used to share an internet connection. could someone please explain to me whats going on? thanks

p.s.- i think its a hub/switch it came with some xbox system-link/lan party pack so i would guess its a hub since m$ is cheap like that

Alright this is what is happening, there is basically an uplink from the hub to the port on the router and the the computers are connected via cable to the switch downstairs now when you need to access the internet the packets are sent to the default gateways IP address (well actually a mac address, but i wont explain that), which is the router. So all that the switch downstairs is really doing is sending frames/packets to the router from the machines downstairs.

ok so if i wanna do this do i only need to assign the default gateway to my computer? i also tried this with my xbox and pc, but i could only get the computer to connect to the internet, and not my xbox, even after assigning the correct default gateway on the xbox. is there anything else i need to do? thanks

Back
Top Bottom