wriless router connected to a router..

Acccessme

Baseband Member
Hi everyone,
I got this situation.. I have a domain network here at work. Where our internet is a T1 connection they provided th router and they said that we are using NAT... Anyways I want to plug a Wireless fireware router so i have wireless access to our internet. We have visitor that would be nice to give them access to our Internet when they are here.
The problem that i got is when i connect the routher from the wall to the router and then to a laptop so I can configure the router, I seems like automaticaly it gets 192.168.0.2 for IP address my my doamin server has that IP address so i can't connect to the internet. I am assuming that is my problem..
Can someone help please? am I doing this thewrng way.. as you probably al reaady can tell don't know much about networks.

Thanks

well ... your router is giving you that address because your laptop is set to obtain an address automatically and because you have yet to configure your router. You need to determine you wish for your router to issue DHCP (automatically give addresses) or not. Or if you already have a DHCP server on your network, then you will need to configure your router to work as an access point only.
But first you need to configure that router before connecting it to your network. We need to know more of what exactly you want this router to do ... just be an "access point" to allow visitors to connect to the internet? Then you'll probably want to go with Access Point Mode. What is the router brand and model you're working with?

I got a Netgear WGT624 108Mbps wireless firewall Router and yes all I need is to have Internet access and not access to our Network.

read in your manual on how to set up in Access Point Mode. Give the router an ip address within the range of your ip addresses your network uses ... i.e 192.168.0.x ... give it 192.168.0.50. Be sure it is not in use elsewhere by using a pc already connected to your network and ping 192.168.0.50.
This all depends though on if your router can act as an access point. If not, then you'll have to figure out a range of addresses within your ip addresses of your network that are free ... i.e. 192.168.0.x ... maybe 192.168.0.80-99 are free. Again give your router an address ... 192.168.0.50 and tell it to issue a dhcp range of 192.168.0.80-99.
Or the other option is to get a wireless access point that functions as an access point. Not a wireless router.

Back
Top Bottom