need help...wireless network

jujugiants

Solid State Member
I'm trying to set up wireless at my house to incorporate current dell desktop (cable modem; ground floor), new desktop (basement, for the kids) and my laptop - ibm t43 (throughout house and patio/pool area).

I'm buying the emachine T5620 desktop for the kids' machine and the linksys wireless G router with super booster(?) supposedly the super booster covers 3 times the area and helps eliminate dead zones?

The computer guy at best buys suggested I need a wireless adapter for both my current desktop (which does not have wireless capability now) and for my laptop (which has it built in, but he says I should replace that with the linksys “super booster” adapter to be work with the router).

Does that make sense? Anything else I should be concerned with or thinking about?

THANK YOU

I'd hold off on the super booster adapter for the laptop, but you will need to make sure you have adapters for your desktop pc's. Many people in here have made the suggestion of placing the wireless router on the second floor, providing better coverage ... an umbrella effect. I live in a one story, so I can't vouch for that. However, the ones at my work are on higher floors and the signal strength is very good - excellent where Im at in the basement. I'd test out your laptop internal card first to see what signal strengths you have in the rooms you tend to be.

Back
Top Bottom