2 computer wireless network

grip

Baseband Member
I have my first client and she wants internet capabilities on her desktop PC and one for her laptop when her daughter comes home from school. She has a Linksys router. (1)Can she have multiple internet capabilities with one internet plan?(2)How do I go about connecting this?

How much you charging your "first client" for us to do the work for you? :)
I'll answer the first question ... yes you can set up multiple pc's to use one internet connection ... using a router that your client already has.
In regards to your second question on how to do it ... Google on how to set up a wired/wireless network using the linksys router that your client has. Having us rehash what's already been put down in writing elsewhere is kind of pointless. There's a search engine on this site as well ... use it.

First of all, thanks for the quick reply. I just got back from my clients house where I took a look at her router. It's not a wireless router. It's an ethernet fast/DSL router. She has decided to go wireless so her other two laptops can be used anywhere in the house. I have the ok to purchase the wireless linksys router. Thanks for the input CrossCech. I will be accessing this forum quite often as I am beginning my career in Lan/Wan and Security. I am in college for said career, 2nd year.

No offense grip but if you don't even know about basic home networking, well you may just be a little under qualified for this type of work.

Once you get the wireless network up and running, make sure you enable WEP and/or MAC filtering.

^^I agree that if you cant setup a basic network you shouldn't be running a buissness that you set up networks.

Man ... I wanted to say exactly the same things x0r515t & Dishdog said, but I thought for sure I'd get ripped for it. If this is your second year in training grip ... what'd they teach you in the first year??

I'm not running a business. But I am desperate for some hands-on experience. Reading it from a book and taking exams is good but actually doing it is what I need now.

o ic, maybe you could find like a co-up program thing to help you to gain experience.

So she has like 3 computers total? Make the laptops wireless and the desktop wired since the router's going to somewhere nearby the PC anyways.

You need to make sure the wireless laptops have wireless adapters installed or newer laptops tend to have build in wireless capablility (yeah, baby). If it does, there's nothing to worry about in regards to the laptop. If not, then you will need to purchase two additional wireless cards for laptops.

This is a really nice wireless one for notebooks. I love the built in attenna although pricey:
LINKSYS WPC54GX IEEE 802.11b/g 32-bit Cardbus Wireless Adapter up to 54Mbps Data Rates Up to 128-Bit WEP, AES, TKIP, 802.1x - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124171#DetailSpecs

For the PC, on the back of it there should be an RJ-45 port (fat telephone plug as I like to call it) where you can plug in a CAT5e cable to the router. Here's a link for a Linksys wireless router. I have the same model and works like a charm:

LINKSYS WRT54G IEEE 802.11b/g, 802.3 Wireless-G Broadband Router - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010

Follow the Linksys instructions. THey make this really easy to read step by step instructions on what you need to go to get internet sharing. After all that, you can setup MAC and IP filtering or encryption if you wish using the router features.

Then if your "client" want to share files and printer, just enable it in Windows on each PC connected to the network.

Back
Top Bottom