Having Trouble Joining A Domain

do you have it set up for dhcp? If not then make it a dhcp server. That way it will hand out IP's. Make sure it's connected to the physical network correctly and go into your network connections and check the IP config on your laptop and make sure it's set up for a DHCP server so it can accept the IP's your server will hand out. Check that and see if it works and if not then post back and let us know what else is going on.

well i gave up in the end - did a format and reload on the laptop and it is now on the domain, it's also running a hell of alot faster now too. Thanks for the suggestions people

Well, In my case, I can't ping the server machine from the dos prompt, whereas I can ping others on the same router switch ports.

I can also ping everyone connected to the router from the Dos prompt on the server machine.

I've tried to access the firewall, but an error msg came up saying that another service maybe trying to access the Ipnat.sys file.
The server's running server 2003 from good ol' microsoft. - How can I access the security settings?
I can't do it via network connection settings.

i get the following message:

Changefirewall.jpg

I got so fed up that I've just formatted and reinstalled Server 2k3 and have now got a response from a ping from my Notebook.

So far, so good! Will report back to see if I can connect to a domain I am now creating

I'm serious when I say this but, it is sad how many people reformat on windows when they get problems. AND I want everyone that fits in that category to make BACKUPS it'll save you much grief trust me.

Back
Top Bottom