Having Trouble Joining A Domain

semtex

In Runtime
hey there, first off apologies for any stupid typo's - i'm using a laptop witht the smallest keyboard ever!

Right, to my problem. I'm trying to get a new laptop (this one) joined onto the domain at work, however i keep gettin an error message stating that the domain controller could not be contacted. when i click on the 'more details' button, the following text is displayed:

"Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The domain name xxxxx might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain xxxxx:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.xxxxx

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

xxxxx
. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help."

I can still get access to the internet but not to anhy network drives or printers. An identical laptop that was purchased at the same time as this one can get onto the domain with no problems so i'm somewhat purplexed as to how to resolve the issue. To make matters worse our in house IT guy here can't seem to find a fix either!

Any helps would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

You might want to look at the tcpip properties, make sure all the DNS and WINS servers are present. Also, you need an administrator password to join. Sounds like your DNS servers IP's are not present. I would look there first then try and join the domain again.

thanks for the info adam i'll try that when i'm back in the office.

elmonomalo,

there is no router, all the machines are gonnected via a gigabit switch or wireless, dependent on the machine. The error occurs on both wired and wireless. The machine in question is running XP Pro, and the server is W2KSBS.

I find it all a bit confusing though as there's already 50+ machines happily connected, and i joined another XP machine to the domain with no problems today.

For joining a domain all the DNS and Ip's must be set to obtain one automatically. Then u change the domain, when u try to enter, It'll ask for a domain administrator password, if u dont enter one, u wont be able to get in the domain. Also u'll have to reboot after that.

I've done that a lot of times, cuz my dad works in the customs, and when I go there, I connect my laptop to the domain.

I have had the same problem with Windows XP Pro also. I would try everything everyone else has said. Making sure DNS server for that domain is present, etc. The solution for me was was disabling the Internet Connection Firewall. Try disabling that in network connections > local area connections > advanced tab. Uncheck the box. hit ok and close out. Retry adding to domain. If that doesnt work try to disable the Windows Firewall in Control Panel. Move the radio button to off. Then go to the advanced tab and uncheck the box for local area connection. After all that it should work. If all else fails you could try to disable all anti virus protection (Norton can cause this problem too) and other software firewalls. And be sure to turn everything back on after you join it to the domain.

I've never had problems with the Antivirus, neither with the Windows Firewall, while joining a domain, the problem, I think that the fact is that the domain has its own firewall, and all its things...

Ionno if the domain u're trying to get into is that sofisticated, cuz the one I always enter is a government one, (not USA...)

Ok, I've just begun trying to learn Server 2003, and I've created a domain. I have right clicked on the "homenetwork.local" domain that I've created from within the Active Directory and Added the names of the computers which I wanna use to access the server and login to the domain.

But when I try and join a domain from my Notebook computer, (which is currently setup to be part of a workgroup) it won't let me, it gives the "The requested domain could not be contacted" message.

Is there something I need to do on the server to allow my laptop to "see" it?

Please Bear in mind, I'm completely new to the domain thing.

Thanks in Advance,

Si

Luiz396 said:
For joining a domain all the DNS and Ip's must be set to obtain one automatically. Then u change the domain, when u try to enter, It'll ask for a domain administrator password, if u dont enter one, u wont be able to get in the domain. Also u'll have to reboot after that.

I've done that a lot of times, cuz my dad works in the customs, and when I go there, I connect my laptop to the domain.
Set the DNS and IP settings to obtain automatically only if there is a DHCP server dishing out those details, otherwise fill in the dns manually

Back
Top Bottom