MAJOR viruses on my laptop.

mummer43

Baseband Member
There are 3 trojans that Norton can't remove and there is also an error that prevents me from opening any programs. Everytime I click on a program, it says "xxxx.exe has produced errors and is shutting down." or something like that. And it never opens. I can't run any spyware and there's a stupid toolbar that I can't get rid of.

Help!!

Most the time when a virus/malware removal tool cant remove a program is when its open

Go to ctrl+alt+delete and close everything under your login name

If you cant close that program that is messing you up, Go to run > msconfig > startup > uncheck the virus

Then reboot, Start your antivirus, you should be set

Boot in safe mode and then you should be able to run the scans ...
I'm not sure if it would help but system restore helped me a few times before ...

yes turn off system restore... (properties under my computer and then click on system restore tab) then reboot and hit F8 while booting to go into safe mode. THEN run your scans(BTW just choose regular safe mode, not with networking)

dyserq said:
Boot in safe mode and then you should be able to run the scans ...
I'm not sure if it would help but system restore helped me a few times before ...
FORMAT FORMAT FORMAT!!!!! yeah system restore sucks it has never helped me it just wastes my time

recon 16 said:
FORMAT FORMAT FORMAT!!!!! yeah system restore sucks it has never helped me it just wastes my time

That is your opinion, it helps for other people
To be honest, formatting is the waste of time, when you could easily fix the problem with other more efficient and simplier ways

go to system32 folder<C:\windows\system32> then find xxx.exe and move it to any folder <except windows folders>. you could use the C:\ . now try to rename the file. <from xxx.exe to anything> then delete the file. this should help because this is the only thing i did when i encounter the problem.

re: formatting

any idiot who immediately says formatting is just that, an idiot. Programs can be fixed alot easier than people think. Updating Norton is going to do nothing. Second off, I just used System Restore to fix a problem on my computer so, I don't want to hear any crap about how system restore suxs. What you should do mummer43 is check out this site to get all the processes off you computer, find the virus, delete them, or change the extension to something ridiculous and then delete it (go into Tools->Folder Options->View and uncheck "Hide Known File Extensions"). Your problem should be fixed, also boot into safe mode (Dont disable system restore) and then delete it from there. If that doesn't work, then go into the safe mode command prompt. Navigate to the file and manual delete it from the command line. If none of this works, then I am going to suggest reformatting, but try to back up your data.

-thecoolkidontheblock

Back
Top Bottom