setting up a network with ntl modem

soniQ1

Beta member
hi, i need help.i have a broadband connection with ntl and use their cable modem. i have recently purchased a new laptop and have had some trouble connecting to the net(on the laptop).

heres my set up. my main desktop pc is connected to my modem by a usb cable and i have my ethernet cable going from my laptop to my ethernet port in my modem, but for some reason i can't seem to get the laptop online.

a few days ago i rang ntl and and they gt my laptop up and running on the net but i can't use my desktop at the same time .. can any help me find a away to use both computers at the same time

I just got mine running twice from two different routers for my laptop and desktop.

You need to get a wireless router for this setup. No USB cables are needed. D-Link has one for like $20 including rebate. Let me know about that idea.

I still can't picture as to why you would need a USB cable to run the Internet though.

sorry i haven't got that much tecnical savvy, could u explain how i would set up a wireless network then. and would it make my connection uber slow

No it won't make your connection slow. The wireless router transmits data at 54Mbps which is much, much faster than you can download off the net.

Here's my explanantion of a simple home wireless router in brief:

First purchase a wireless router
D-Link DI-524 IEEE 802.11b/g, 802.3 Wireless Router up to 54Mbps Data Rates 1x10/100M WAN; 4x10/100M LAN
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127143

or

LINKSYS WRT54G IEEE 802.11b/g, 802.3 Wireless-G Broadband Router up to 54Mbps Data Rates 1x10/100M WAN; 4x10/100M LAN
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010

I've used both and these two are very good. D-Link being the cheaper one and Linysys having the name. Now if your laptop has built in wireless adapter, you won't have to get an additional wireless adapter for it. That parts done.

When you get the wireless router, it should come with a CAT5e network cable, power adapter for the router, CD and instructions. On the back of your modem, there should be a CAT5 network cable attached to it. The other end goes into the WAN or Internet port on the back of the wireless router. Usually this port is separated from the other computer ports so it's obvious.

Now you need to connect the desktop PC to the wireless router. Use the supplies cable and attach one end to the NIC from the back of the PC and the other end to Port 1 on the back of the wireless router. Physically, everything is ready to go.

It will auto detect and you should get Internet access on both PCs now. We can talk about file and printer sharing later and security implementation as well. First, you have to get your Internet sharing done.

so. i've got all the required kit to set up my wireless network there is just one thing hindering me. i cannot connect my ntl cable modem to the router as my modem was configured on installing to work with only usb so when i try and connect my modem to the router via ethernet and then my computer to the router my computer does not reconise the modem becuase it is using ethernet....help

Back
Top Bottom