Blocking other users from accessing my router

WEP is for wireless connection right? I'm looking on my D-Link menu now. If I select WEP, do I have to configure anything else? Do I go with 64 bit or 128 bit encryption? HEX or ASCII? Under HEX, it says Key Type and "00000000000000000000000000" next to it. Am I suppose to put some random numbers in there?

Also what type of Authentication? Shared Key or Open System?

I setup WEP, but my laptop lost connection with the router. Couldn't connect to the network. I don't think people will hack into my network unless they are really close to my house right? What is the range anyways where people can actually access the routers signal? Even if they do, my LAN is private right? My routers got the MAC filters in place so I should be all right. Even if they get into the LAN, they can only access what's in the Shared folders anyways which is empty.

I have a D-Link DI-524 series wireless router.

Your main worry if someone gets into your wireless LAN shouldn't be what files they will get, but what they will do with your connection. For instance if they did something illegal online with your connection, guess who it would be tracked back to; you.

What I do that works really good is on your router turn off dhcp broadcast and statically assign all your address for your wireless network.(make them ip's that no body will think of) and there you go some little kid who thinks he is all kool and hacker hard core connects to your network and does not even get a ip. hah You could password it but nah takes too much work you can do this on most routers.

Ok guys, guess what happened to me? I was messing with my router and accidently locked myself out of my own network-if that's even possible. I tried to reset it and fiddled with it somewhat then this screen pops up and tells me that I have updated the firmware incorrectly or something like that. How the hell did resetting it accidently screw up the firmware?

Now the router is all messed up, the status light is constantly blinking at regular intervals, I'm getting no signal going through it, basically, I am screwed. Firmware probably got corrupted.

I got so upset, I slammed the router on the floor and broke. Think I can still RMA it? j/k...

Anyways, I ordered a new wireless Linkysys router through Newegg. D-Link makes great routers, but my curiosity got the best of me and led to its destruction. Instead of buying the same router, I get to try Linksys now. Yay, what fun!!! I hope it gets here in a few days. Then I'll post any trouble I have with it, but hopefully not. Reviews look good. Install seem easy and flawless. Good security with it too.

Now, I'm using a direct link with my cable modem to the NIC off of the motherboard. Man, what a night.

A reply to an earlier post, always get atleast 128 bit encryption is you really are going to secure your data or connection, 64 bit encryptions are like an excercise for hackers :D
How did you lock yourself out ? Haha, i've never heard of someone rejecting their own requests to connect, i mean your computer has a continuous loop service to itself ...

HOnestly, I have no clue. I was trying to test the security for the MAC filters by denying my laptops MAC address, but somehow lost the whole darn connection. FUrther tampering made it impossible to get going again, even after resetting it so many times. This is too funny.

I hope to get three or possibly four computers on this network soon. I've got spare PC sitting on the shelf for the last 4 years. I plan on gutting it out though with new hardware so that should be fun. Have to wait until after I pay for school's tuition though.

Is this even possible? Man it's weird. But anyways, I will relate all the response here and apply it towards my new router, yay. Hope it works just as good.

Back
Top Bottom