100% CPU usage by System process

GBalcom

Beta member
My system (AMD 2200+ Athlon, 256 MB RAM, ASUS MB) is showinng 100% CPU usage by the System process.

Did use SpyBotSD which cleaned Alexa and related issues, but still have same problem.

I have also tried PCCillin (manually updated), AdWare, HijackThis, CWShredder, LittleProcessViewer, etc., and nothing shows as a virus, trojan or other form of maleware.

When I start searching for what is causing it it goes to low % numbers, but when I leave it alone or use a MS app like Office 2000, or Media player it goes back to 100% and the computer gets real slow. It's like it knows when I'm looking for it!

All other processes are well behaved.

This system in not Internet connected, but, I do transport downloaded Webs to it from college (they use Command Anti-Virus Enterprise version with constant updating).

I do not let other people use or give me any form of media except originally published CD's or DVD's.

My only online connection is at school. Because I'm not online I will not get back to this thread until monday the 1st of August.

I appreciate any help I can get.

It may be an avi file... hit ctrl,alt, and delete and see if explorer is using 100% cpu usage. If this is true open regedit and goto

NOTE: (may want to export the original default value in case doesn't work for you.)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
OR
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.avi\shellex\

Delete the Default value

restart and see if it worked... may be unable to view properties of avi files after.

This could also be a driver issue... if you have your original OS cd try repairing your system or just drivers.

or if that dont work simply press ctrl+alt+del and end task anything u dont like the look of. But be careful thoe because if u ent the worng thing your computer may stop workin properly and then u will hav to re start the computer and do it agen

The safe way of doing what Psych0 said is click the "Processes" Tab, then the "User Name" i guess you would call it sub-tab? lol then close the process that has the biggest number under CPU next to your login name. that should clear it up, Most will only be 0-10.

Ignore the process "System Idle Process" under the username SYSTEM that is required to run the Operating System

100% CPU Usage

The process that is using up the cpu is "System".

I understand System Idle Process, which is 0%. Like I said earlier, there is nothing else running.

I did delete all of the index.dat files (files created by the indexing service for speeding up file searches.)

I also rechecked all of the logs from my adware and spyware cleaning and then used them to search the registry.

"NoAdWare" had said that it had cleaned and removed Wild Tangent from my system. When I searched the registry I found Wild Tangent to still existed (over a half dozen entryies!) in the form of a Control Panel item that was trying to connect to the net to update itself. I removed all keys and data related to Wild Tangent which also removed the cpl item. All seems to be quiet now.

The fact that Wild Tangent was trying to "phone home" on a schedualed bases, on a non-connected system, (I found the timer value by opening up the WTCPL.CPL file in notepad) would explain why sometimes the cpu usage would be quiet and other times it would be 100%!

Thanks for the responses. :).

i've had this problem in the past. i didn't know what was causing it. since i had a scheduled reformating of my hd, i didn't really care :D

Nice to see you got that taken care of GBalcom.

Back
Top Bottom