WEP Key

vroom125

Solid State Member
What's a WEP key? I reinstalled windows on my computer a while ago. To connect to my network, it says i need to enter the WEP Key. Can someone help me?
Thanks in Advance

wep key is normally used for a wirless network, it is a encription key so only you can log on as no one else has the key you should be able to turn wep off but ths is not advisabe.please elaborate on your setup.and we will try and help a little more.

Yeah I have a wireless connection and I too have a WEP key. When I forst reformatted I obviously lost it, but luckily RoadRunner keeps a record of it, so all I had to do was call them up and they told me it. Of course, I wrote it down so now I can reformat whenever need be. Just call up your provider and I'm sure they'll gladly give it to you.

you should always change the original wep key as like you said there a record of it.you should be able to put a passphase in somewhere and your router will make a new wep key and all you have to remember is the passphrase and not the long key.you will be suprised how many poeple drive around trying to hack into someones wireless router.but sureley vroom125 should be able to make a new key.

I use a Netgear router for my wireless network. It's hooked up to COX high-speed. I want to add another computer to the network, but i don't know the key.

Like I said, just call them up and let them know what your deal is and they'll tell you. You don't actually have to say that, just say you reformatted and you need it again.

give netgear a call as they come with a standard key
Try typing in netgear ill have a look through a netgear manual when i gwt chance it should tel me what it is somewhere.

log on to your wireless router 192.168.0.1 type this into your address bar where you would normaly type your web address and this should take you to your routers setting but you should have a password and username to logon.its standard username is ADMIN and the password is nomally NETGEAR. then goto firewall security etc and turn wep off or create a new key 64bit or 128 bit.it should give you the option to have a second 3rd 4th 5th etc wep key.

what netgear router is it is it a dg834.

Back
Top Bottom