Remote wake up

AnonymousI

In Runtime
How can I remotely boot my home computer up (from the off state) from another location so that I can run applications on my home computer? I know about remote desktop, but I just want to know how to turn on my home computer if it was turned off (cold boot). Do I need special software to do this? What settings do I have to put in the BIOS, Windows, and the NIC? I've heard about MagicPackets and all the other stuff, but I don't know how to use them.

I have WXP Pro SP2, a Realtek 8139/810X NIC, and an broadband ethernet connection. In my BIOS, I have something like: Remote Wake-up (If memory serves me correct). The three options are On, On w/ boot to NIC, Off. In my network adapter settings I have: WakeUP on ARP/PING, WakeUp on Link Change, and WakeUP using APM Mode.

Any help is appreciated.

Do you have a static IP? If so you could try pinging the ip from a remote location, but this is a long shot. I have never heard of a way to cold boot a pc remotely.

nagual said:
Do you have a static IP? If so you could try pinging the ip from a remote location, but this is a long shot. I have never heard of a way to cold boot a pc remotely.

Pinging a machine that is off will not turn it on at all

Theres something about this on my modem (56k) but when it is activated, if someone calls the phone, the pc turns on. Kind of gets annoying tho

You can set your PC to respond to a LAN Wakeup event in the BIOS so that it can be switched on across a LAN.
Quite how you actually get the remote machine to do it, and how you send the request, I'm not so sure.

There's a thing in bios called Wake On Lan. You have to enable it. I then I think any network activity to that computer will start it up. If you have a router you should make sure ports are forwarded to that computer if you're trying to do it outside of your network.

rewtguy is right.
The only difference is that a pci add-on lan card must be hard wired to a header on your motherboard. It can't be just plugged in to a pci slot and expected to work..and there are a lot of lan cards that do not support WOL so be sure to check that yours do. Refer to your mobo manuel for the header location and to what the pins are as they have to be connected exactly alike to get it to work. then set your bios to allow the WOL to work and you should be ok.
****HINT***** You realize that any ping to your computer will wake it up and allow access unless you have it totally secure with encrytion passwords and sometimes those are not enough. I would make sure that the bios security feature was on and whatever you do...don't lose your passwords.

Back
Top Bottom