vpn hardware selection

Provost

Solid State Member
Overview: I have two offices with desktops and a mobile laptop. I had been quoted by a computer place 800 bucks in hardware with which i dont remmeber models but they had used Sonic TZ150 or 170's of some sort and had 1 vpn for each location and a global vpn client. The computer place was going to charge me 1600 for the whole thing. 800 for hardware, 800 for set up. Im going to setup myself and i was just wondering if these things were neccesary or if there are less expensive things. Otherwise if these are fine if someone could tell me which model to use

Any and all advice and help is appreciated

Provost said:
i dont remmeber models but they had used Sonic TZ150 or 170's of some sort and had 1 vpn for each location and a global vpn client.

Not sure if you're meaning the Sonic's are used or new. They are charging you more than double for either model at $800 ... they usually go for around $300-$350. The cost for installing might be little bit high, but if you figure $100-$125 an hour ... installing, configuring, and testing in a 6-8 hour range seems reasonable.

If you're willing to pay $800 for hardware, might I suggest Cisco PIX 501 or 506E. This way you actually will "get what you pay for." To save money either way ... I'd suggest buying the hardware yourself from online, so you wont have to worry about the "mark-up". Expect to pay $100-$125 an hour & 6-8 hours for installation.

these are new sonics

and the 800 bucks was giving me two tz 150s or 170s im not sure

and a global client which essentially would allow me to sync of my laptop to either of the two office locations as long as my laptop had internet no matter where it was.

now talkin on a sonic basis which model the tz150 or 170 be better

i dont need anything high scale so im assuming the 150 would be better but you never know if there are any really nice options that the other offers etc

I'm not familiar with Sonic, so I couldn't tell you what you gain from going with the 170 over the 150. However if you're getting 2 of them in your purchase ... then I would think you're getting a fair quote for parts and service.

does the vpn module also act as a router cause right now i have a linksys router would they run together or the vpn replace it

Back
Top Bottom