HijackThis logfile help

Fernando1378

Baseband Member
My PC started acting up yesterday for some reason. I have ran Ad-Aware SE, Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft AntiSpyware, CWShredder, A-Squared, and FxSasser. Some of them detected a few items, but my PC still isn't fixed. It starts at about:blank when I open up IE. I've already been in the 'about:blank' thread and tried CWShredder but it didn't catch anything. I was going to try SpyCatcher since it was on the list too, but for some reason I can't download anything, so as of now I can only use the programs I already have. Oh and also, it won't let me go to most web pages, I just happened to be lucky that it let me onto this one.

Anyways, I ran HijackThis but I don't know what's supposed to be there and what isn't. If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it. Here's the logfile:

EDIT: Also, a program called SpySheriff keeps downloading itself into my PC, any way to stop this also?

technoman said:
i currently have my page set as about:blank doesn't mean you have spyware!

You should have read my entire post, especially the parts that say, "Oh and also, it won't let me go to most web pages, I just happened to be lucky that it let me onto this one." and "Also, a program called SpySheriff keeps downloading itself into my PC, any way to stop this also?". It's not just that it's at about:blank, its that even when I keep trying to change it, I keep getting notices from microsoft antispyware telling me that something is trying to change it back to about:blank.

Anyways, I posted this at another web site and was given a link that automatically does it for you. Don't know if you guys have heard of it, but it's http://hijackthis.de/index.php . I did that and removed the ones that weren't supposed to be there, but after I 'fixed' them, it wouldn't let me open up any web pages so I had to restore most of them. Anybody have any idea what this could be?

Ok I just pasted my hijack this logfile into that website again, and only one bad item comes up (it actually comes up 3 times, but the other two say 'O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Internet Acceleration Utility] C:\WINDOWS\iau.exe') : C:\WINDOWS\iau.exe
It says: running process. (iau.exe)
Trojan Downloader This is a nasty process! You should fix it and try to delete it manually!

The thing is, as soon as I 'fix' it, all web pages stop working. I'll try to post this up at that other forum, but most pages don't load, and when they do, they take forever.

I see what you mean, but sites that I normally go to didn't want to load and that whole spysheriff downloading itself had me kinda worried. I left home this morning after running some more antivirus programs and when I came back my bro had tried to use the computer. I then log onto my user account to find that I now have CWS on here. I already have CWShredder so it wasn't hard to remove, but I leave home for a few hours and my bro has manage to screw with the pc even more. Worst thing is, he doesn't even attempt to figure out how to fix it (rant :mad: )

Anyways, after removing CWS, running Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware SE, Hijack This, and Microsoft Antispyware all over again, it seems to be fixed. So far my connection is back up to speed and consistent. What I don't get is that I had already ran all these programs before, but they didn't seem to fix the problem :confused:

As long as it's fixed, i'm happy. Oh and one last question; since I fixed it on my account, will it be fixed on my bro's account or do I have to run all these programs on his too?

It probably won't be fixed on his account since he'll have a different run on startup and services registry entries.

I suggest you first clean up his account,
and then limit his account to something other than an administrative user.

Well after getting back from shooting pool last night, there was a notice up saying Microsoft Antispyware needed an update so I went ahead and downloaded it. After it was done it asked to restart the computer, so I did. Well after being restarted, the problem was back. I don't get it, nobody else had gotten on the PC, it was just sitting there the whole time. Everything was working perfectly before that reboot, now time to try to figure it out again.

Back
Top Bottom