Which is the best Security Program?

I'm going to pick the one that is not on your list and that is Counterspy by Sunbelt, although Spysweeper would have to do if I were to choose.

Is it just me or are CounterSpy and Microsoft AntiSpyware more or less the same program? They look the same, only MSAS uses up less RAM...i think.

They look very similar. I don't have SP2 so Counterspy is good for me. One of these days when I atually download that serivce pack, I'll get rid of Counterspy and use Windows Security Center instead.

acphenom said:
Does that include Ad-Watch? And does it take up a lot of resources? That's a problem with SpySweeper and CounterSpy - they slow down your PC and take a while to do full scans.

yeah you go get Ad-Watch and no it does onot take up loads of resourses i would recommend you get it. Doesn't cost that must.

Umm...yeah, i might. I have 2 PC's; a 256MB DDR RAM laptop and a 512MB DDR RAM desktop. I get what i think's best for my desktop, but my laptop's a different story. Right now, i'm using MSAS on it, as it's free and doesn't seem to slow down performance.

And Corolla, i don't get you. CounterSpy's a replacement for SP2? Well, if it is, i think it'd still be best to go with SP2, cause it doesn't take up loads of RAM.

SpySweeper's really improved since the first time i tried it - It scans a lot faster, yet doesn't affect performance much, which is a big plus for me.

acphenom said:
Umm...yeah, i might. I have 2 PC's; a 256MB DDR RAM laptop and a 512MB DDR RAM desktop. I get what i think's best for my desktop, but my laptop's a different story. Right now, i'm using MSAS on it, as it's free and doesn't seem to slow down performance.

And Corolla, i don't get you. CounterSpy's a replacement for SP2? Well, if it is, i think it'd still be best to go with SP2, cause it doesn't take up loads of RAM.

SpySweeper's really improved since the first time i tried it - It scans a lot faster, yet doesn't affect performance much, which is a big plus for me.

i see what you mean, all the main Spyware scanners have got better and i have tried most but the two i like the most Spybot and Ad-Aware stayed on my computer but i do use Ad-Aware more as i paid for it :)

i am off to go onto a site full of spyware to see how good Ad-Watch is and i will post my findings

Okey doke, thanks.

I might install CounterSpy on my desktop as well, adding to the SpySweeper, but this'll take up more resources and i'm not sure if it's worth it. Maybe the free MSAS, which appears to be the same as CS, will do. Can anyone enlighten me here?

i have not heard of this CounterSpy i will have to take a look and do a bit of research. Is it any good?

Yes. It was rated number one on PC World testing. Spysweeper was up there too and I believe Microsoft Antispyware was second.

My personal experience with it is very good. Nice interface, easy to setup and work with. Most importantly, it picked up files that SpyBot Search and Destroy couldn't find.

Yes, CounterSpy is very good. I scanned with both Spybot and Ad-Aware, but i still had problems. I then scanned with CS, which found 3 spyware. After deleting them, my PC was fine.

CounterSpy also has features like 'PC Checkup', which checks that settings are configured to a level which helps tighten security. Besides that, there's a Secure File Eraser which deletes files permanently, and a shield, like SpySweeper.

Back
Top Bottom