I come here out of sheer desperation...

avh

Beta member
Good afternoon folks.

This isn't something I really wanted to have to ask - or something I thought I would need to ask, for that matter - however things seem to have gone too far.

My problem is this: since I am unamble to access the internet at home, I am forced to use this local library network to conduct all of my net-related business (email, site updates, etc.). However, recently the powers that be have seen fit to upgrade the net filters installed here. This means that I can no longer read or send email, access certain sites which keep me in contact with good friends or generally be allowed any kind of freedom at all. This politically-correct 'don't let them see that word or they will be scarred for life but more importantly they may well sue us' is all well and good if, for example, you just wanted to view pages about sunflowers and candy but here in the real world, it's a restriction that has gone too far.

The point of this (which seems to have become an essay of some kind - sorry) is basically this: I'd like to know if there is a way to bypass the RM Safetynet Plus filter program, bearing in mind that I also cannot download .exe files or access Internet Options to set up any kind of proxy (this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer...). Trying to access the IP of sites doesn't work, and the same goes for that German anonym redirector site thing.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry avh, but I doubt that you will get that kind of information here. Pretty strict rules about sharing that kind of information on these forums. As you know, there really is no way for someone to know that you only want to do what you say you do and that you are not looking to cause problems with someone else's PC. Maybe someone will PM you the information that you seek, but if it was posted here, it would be removed by the mods anyway.

Good luck to you.

Good afternoon avh,

While I would love to assist you in your endeavour there is a small problem preventing me from doing so. You see, this forum was meant to discuss measures on preventing such an activity for which you are requesting help for. If you are wondering where this is stated, let me direct you to the description of this forum displayed on the front page which asserts "Discussion on security issuses/hack attacks and security consulting. Please note that we can't active promote, discuss hacking scripts with ilegal intentions." Counseling you on bypassing the security features of your library's network would be in violation of the DMCA - a law in my home in good old U.S. of A. Hopefully, you should now be able to discern why I will not and can not provide you with any advise on these matters. My most sincere apologies.

Thanks for your replies.

I understand completely why you cannot help me, and am grateful that I was not instantly labelled as some kind of troublemaker and banned.

I guess I'll have to find my own way around it, (in fact it seems that I may have done so already) although as far as I know what I am trying to achive is not illegal here in the UK - the sites I'm interested in are mainly email and discussion forums like this one. Had I been looking for something explicit I'd not have been so annoyed!

Thanks anyway.

Good luck!! I understand your situation since I have been in it before. However, as I said, it is illegal for me to provide information to you regarding this. If it is not illegal in the UK then may be someone else could guide you. There are many other people from the UK here....

You can always SSH into another box and write your email VIA SMTP and POP3 it when it gets sent back.

Umm not sure but do you necessarily have to use IE can't you just use windows explorer and type in the url

there is a way around it most settings can't block AOL. were i go to school we have program that you bypass by using AOL. Because of AOL settings none of there site or if you want to. go to a friends house and download fire fox and keep it on and disk or a jump drive it does't matter, you could also change the setting in internet options and that should work.

RM has nasty web filtering.

At least the slightly older version we had in school that we just binned last summer did, it was probably built by the Thought Police or something.

It even blocked educational stuff a lot of the time.

Back
Top Bottom