wtf..I cant access private files...!!

Cattellar

Beta member
Hi. look here's the deal. Im the admin in my computer...and I once was able to see all other users files, I set them as public...well to me. But now...some user managed to put his files "private". I know how to do it, but I thought you needed to be an admin to do that...which he is not. Im wondering if he got around that another way, a tool or something. i was hoping you can tell me a way to put his files public to me again...without having to take away his password...make him and admin...loggin to his session...and changing the property...

BTW: I also went to the ADMINISTRATOR account..and change his tab, so I have "full control" of his files. I thought that would work...but meh..

PLEASE HELP

look, they are his files leave them alone, also if you are an Admin it doesn't matter if they are private you can still access them without playing with the controls.

well, I need to access the files. And guess what guru-man, I'm the admin...and I cant access teh files. Guess you have some tip for me, or someone else?

@cattellar...

How do we know they are legitimatly yours to check? I mena no offence, but some people do get a little cagey about helping to invade others privacy...

anyway, the most vital piece of information you missed, when asking help for any question is the OS you are using...

still no matter, because you can only privatly protect the files on windows 2000 and XP, and the resolution is the same...

right click on the folder.
select properties.

go to the security tab,
make sure you are added with full control.

if that works you should be able to see the files now...

assuming that doesn't work, (and you are actually the administrator).

click on the advanced button,
browse to the owner tab now check the box that says replace owner on subcontainers and objects...

click apply...
add your self ass an owner.
add yourself on the permissions tab.

add the original user on the permissions tab.

the user who origninally created the file has full adminiprivellages on that file, thats how they managed to remove your name from the list of users allowed to access it, (first they unchecked inherrit permisssions...).

hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom