Laptop server???

Techy Geek

Daemon Poster
I have a (very) old laptop, and wondered if it would be possible to use it as a server for as little money as possible. Is it even possible. It has 96mb RAM, 3GB hard drive, Pentium 2 processor (don't know the speed) and windows 98. Is it possible, and if so how would I do it? thanks in advance. I have little or no idea about servers :eek:

it's possible to use any machine as a server...

I think you are overestimating the job of a server, the only function a server should have is to serve either content or purpose,

if you are servering content, e.g files/webpages -a low spec machine is fine...

if you are serving purpose,
like a mail server, or a remote logon server/application server, then the requirements for the machine are greater.

IMHO windows 98 isn't a great server OS, try upgrading to a newer version of windows if possible, or of course linux/unix which can be downloaded for free...

When you have the laptop all set up, remember to switch off the power saving abilities...

sorry to be a bit thick, but how do I set it up, I know I need an ethernet port and a switch, but what else do I need. I really need a server for thickos type thing. I am no good whatsoever, I have tried and failed to link up two laptops before. Also, would it really matter if the ethernet would be on an expansion card as it does not have a built in ethernet.

yeah, that's fine...

just grab a PCMIA expansion card install the drivers and it's pretty much away you go!

if you only have two machineson your network then you can use a crossover cable, thats the cheapest way to connect two machines,

a better solution is to buy a hub, and a couple of straight through cables, link em all up an it's pretty much away you go from there,

after the cables / switch you won't need any more hardware, so it might be best for you to get the stuff you need, (expansion card and either crossover cable or switch and cables) and then have a little play about, it'sa lot easier than you'd think!

thanks, could I then use it to host websites and put all my files on. Also I have another laptop, which I may also want to connect periodically as well as the desktop, so would I get a hub, or when I want to use the server on my other laptop, just unplug it from the desktop and plug it into the laptop. Should i just get a hub
thanks anyway, very useful, I may just do that *gives rep point*

if there is a chance you'll want more than two computers it's definitly better to just get a hub, they are pretty cheap.

yes, your laptop wil be able to host both files and internet pages.

like I said though, remember to switch power saving off! it won't be so good if your internet server needs a tap on the mouse pad every five minutes!

Back
Top Bottom