Best computer for $800

yearnforu

Beta member
Hi, I am planning to spend around $800 to build a computer for gaming, what are the best processors, motherboards and graphic cards, etcs?

Hehe for that price yearnforu , you can create an excellent system! :p

What do you prefer, AMD or Intel?

Or put another way, what do you prefer doing? Playing games? Or multitasking and/or editing movies/exporting movies/music exporting/3D Rendering?

AMD is better for games, while Intel is better for that kind of thing, though neither are bad at opposites in any way, though they just excel in different areas.

Plus do you know alot about graphics cards? Like the company you'd go for?

Nvidia Geforce, or ATi Radeon?

I hope I can help :)

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, I am personally looking towards gaming which means I would get AMD processor? and I really don't care about the company for the graphic card.

Yeah, AMD is probably your best bet.

Hehe, scary though you say you don't care about the company :p Though its true, they are more the same than getting a CPU is. My personal opinion would be Nvidia now really (Not for a biased opinion...i mean look at my signiture...I have a ATI at the moment :p)

Look at this first of all:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537

That would be great for gaming, and is very overclockable too (can push it a bit more if you learn how, to make it run faster), plus its a rather cheap processor for such a great performer! (3000+ means it'd be as good as the 3.0Ghz Pentium 4)

The Venice core which this one is, is the newest core around, and runs with a 90nm process (the Winchester core before it did too) , and this is just the manufacturing process which is supposed to make it run cooler (always a good thing) and has a few more memory enhancements than the other cores (the order they came in: Clawhammer, Winchester, Venice),

The processor is also a 939 socket so you'll need to find a motherboard with this in mind (will have it clearly on a webpage)

As for the video card, what about this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150099

Its a great card and is a budget one which will play all new games at rather high settings (at standard res's, for example 1152x864)

Though if you wanted something better than taht which would last you longer:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130215

Then that is a great card, the 6800GT!

Cards come in standards by the way, GT being faster than Vanilla (standard), and Ultra being faster than GT.

Now these cards are both PCI-Express which is the newest format which means you'll be able to update video cards for much longer than if you had AGP on your motherboard.

I'm not that good at choosing motherboards though, but I'm sure someone can help you with that :) Liking the system so far?

I hope I've helped explain things you might not have known before so its up to you for example, which video card you choose, etc :)

RAM...

Try to go for 1gb if you can, though get it in x2 512mb chips (and try and get Dual Channel RAM, if the motherboard support it, which will speed your system up a bit)

as for the hard drive, a good make is best, and speeds, well default is 7200RPM (fastest is 10,000, though these drives are expensive and come in small hard drive sizes usually). I'm sure someone can help you more with that :)

I hope this helps

yeah wel..I'm so crowded by all the less important stuff that I tend to forget the really important stuff in my posts...I mean look how big they are anyway without mentioning them too?! I'm joking by the way :p

Back
Top Bottom