does anyone know any good firewall/spyware programs?

what about black ice, i´ve heard that it´s the best program but at the same time it doesn´t let you access certain things on the computer.

I wouldn't say adaware is the best, or at least not the free to download version, (if it was the best then why would there be a sold professional version too?)...
I use Spybot search and destroy, This has features that will allow you to block known bad activex controlls on pages, it also comes with an app called tea timer that sits on the PC and monitors registry changes, so if some new vulnerability is found then it can warn you thatsomething is being installed on your PC.

You should also use a virus scanner, again a nice free firewall is AVG.

I use the windows firewall without trouble...
It's a bad idea not having any firewall at all, it's just asking for trouble...
You caould try using a program like outpost, (thats free and has a small foot print (uses very few resources)...
One thing I will say is that you should work with your firewall instead of trying to work around it...

You specifically mentioned that the AIM ports were blocked and the direct connection ports were blocked.

all you need to do is unblock these ports on the firewall... a quick google search

AOL messenger port - 5190
Direct connect ports - 375 - 425

Since you've been running your PC's without a firewall you should also consider using a profile such as hijack this to scan for other nasties that spyware programs don't pick up. (if it's possible I'd even go as far as to format a system and start again if it's been connected to the internet without a firewall).

There is no reason that windows 98 should be working better than XP, infact it should be the other way around...

best pay for program is pc cillin. free av = panda. firewall = zonealarm.
spyware = microsoft
adaware and such = adaware or spybot
yhea.also run netstat -a in command prompt to who or what is using ur connection etc. its a really handy device.

no no hell no never use norton it will take over your system. i can only say only 2 progames and the firewall has never been hacked or cracked. the fire wall is called Panda it will keep eveery one out and hide the last 5 numbers of your IP second it spysweep it will search and destroy all spyware they are free and they work perfectly but for panda to work get the newest one but to do so look for the FOSI website and get them.

panda is a good firewall program and viruse scanner but it's not cheap and you can get it for free from any p2p sever. but you have set panda at low or median never high. On high it will block the net all toghter.

If u want a good firewall buy a modem that has a firewall in it. You don't need any firewall software if u have a good modem. (Edit: fixed some typing mistakes)

Back
Top Bottom