HELP: Reformatting/Operating System Install

ndgarrett

Beta member
Hello all: I appreciate your help. My current system is Windows 2000. My son does a lot of online gaming (he's 12) and this has developed into a multitude of spyware, adware and viruses. I have used spybot, among others to try to remove, and it's not working. I've decided to just wipe the slate clean and upgrade to xp. Here's my issue. First my computer is so slow and my mouse will not work. My upgrade will only upgrade from 98 which I have a disk for. So what I think I want to do is reformat to 98 and then do the install, but I can't figure out how to do this. If I reboot the computer with the 98 in the cd drive it just reboots to 2000, I have checked the start process and it is set to start from the cd drive so I don't know why it is by-passing it unless it has to do with a virus.

Hmm.... Well first create a boot disk and boot to command prompt, there type FORMAT C: Once this is done go into your bios and set the boot drive as your cd drive and start windows setup from that. Reply with your feedback for me.

I don't remember how

to create a boot disk. I'm sorry, the brain is a feeble place at this age. Could you remind me?

Go to format the floppy disk and add system files or whatever it says and also when you try to boot from the floppy you will need to do that in the bios as well as a boot drive this will be temp.

Windows 98 can only install with a boot disk so you've got to create one. Go to Format disk in 3 1/2 floppy and select "create boot disk". Then changed the boot order in your BIOS to boot from the floppy drive first.

NFTS ?? Seems to be the problem

Okay, I tried all that but it's not working. Originally the Gateway came with 98 on it. My ex-employer upgraded it for my son with more memory and apparently 2000. From "screwing" around with it last night, the issue, at this point, seems to be that it has been upgraded using an nfts partition?? and the boot disk doesn't work. Help again please!!

Back
Top Bottom