Scandisk capability on XP

cbachinger

In Runtime
Hello again!

The first time I tried to scan disk my PC with XP SP2, it said that a 'f' parameter was missing or disabled and so scandisk couldnt start.

I phoned Microsoft and they gave me steps at how to enable this 'f' parameter and so enable scandisk to work.

Could you please send me the steps to do this again, as a friend of mine needs this done and I didnt write these steps down on paper.

Many thanks :)

cbachinger said:
Hello again!

The first time I tried to scan disk my PC with XP SP2, it said that a 'f' parameter was missing or disabled and so scandisk couldnt start.

I phoned Microsoft and they gave me steps at how to enable this 'f' parameter and so enable scandisk to work.

Could you please send me the steps to do this again, as a friend of mine needs this done and I didnt write these steps down on paper.

Many thanks :)
Ok mate do this....

1) go to my computer and right click on your C drive, Properties /go to tools...then scandisc.

2) Set it so that it does a scan on the next bootup, then just reboot your computer and it will do it's job.

Um...

It's chkdsk not scandisk.
The proper instruction is> chkdsk /f
Note the space between the chkdsk and the /f. It's suppost to be there. Run this from > start> run> chkdsk /f

I know how to run scan disk :) Ive done so countless times before.

And there IS a scandisk; youre giving me the DOS version (chkdsk) which i have also done before, when i had no choice.

The steps Mircrosoft gave to me, were no where near complicated; they were some steps taken in certain programs in Windows that i have forgotten.

But my friends laptop does have scandisk activated.

Thanks for your inputs :)

chkdsk /r assumes f with the additional fix bad sectors. Run it from the recovery console on the boot. Much more effective.

Back
Top Bottom