Non-Functional Internet Connection

becand75

Beta member
I need help on this issue. I have run out of options and hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction.

I have a small home network setup using my cable modem. The cable modem runs into a 4-port switch. The switch then feeds a connection to two more computer and my wireless NetGear router. The router then feeds the wireless connection to my laptop and the wired connection to my desktop.

Yesterday, I realized the power had went out in the house when I was gone. I started the computer back up, and my internet connection was not working. I then checked the other computers in the house, and they were both functioning correctly, internet wise. After some thinking, I realized that this may be a router issue. I unplugged the connection to the router and plugged directly into a port on the switch. Still no internet connection. I then tried a different port on the switch. Nothing. I then thought that this may be a computer problem. I the tried an alternate NIC that was installed, and still no luck. I then tried my laptop, and it still did not work. I tried releasing and renewing my IP via ipconfig about 10 times and found no luck in that avenue. I replaced the cable, thinking it was a faulty one, and still had no luck.

What confuses me the most about this is that the router and the switch both have flashing lights on the front and show a functional internet connection to the computers with activity on all of them.

I am running out of options. I do NOT want to do a full system re-install. I was going to try and re-install the NIC drivers, but I didnt understand how this could be a problem since the connection was not working on my laptop either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

reboot your cable modem.. thats the problem right there.. anytime a power outtage happens and you loose internet its because your modem needs to be reset... just unplug your router, modem, and switch for like 30 seconds then plug the modem in first then router and switch and reboot your computers and it will be back up and running...

also why do you have your switch in between your modem and router??? do you have multiple static IP's or somethin? if you don't and your running DHCP then its pointless.

hope that helps

Confused

I tried it and it didnt work.

Plus, the two other computers in the house that work off of the same cable modem, just different ports on the switch, function perfectly fine.

well try hooking directly to your modem without the router and switch and see if that works...

also for an FYI.. you should have your MODEM -> Router -> switch instead of MODEM -> Switch -> Router... the reason being is that if your running Dynamic IP's from your ISP they only send you 1 IP address... so that way the Router will hold the WAN IP and send it out to all your computers on the switch.. otherwise if you have your switch in front of the router, and you only get 1 IP then the computer thats connected to the switch could grap the IP before your router then all computer behind your router won't work.

I work for an ISP that provides top notch broadband services and here is what we would tell you to do (assuming you are dynamic):

1. First unplug the power from the modem, router, and switch.
2. We want the modem closest to the wall
3. Plug the router into the modem
4. Plug your switch into the router
5. Hook up your computers however you would like

Now power the devices on in this order:

1. Modem (this forces it to go out and grab a new IP and to obtain a MAC off of the directly connected device which will be your router) Allow it to cycle for about 30 seconds so it can sync with the network again.
2. Router (this makes the router grab the correct IP address from the modem)
3. Switch (just keep following the general rule of starting closest to the wall and getting farther out when starting devices up)
4. Each computer

This should bring you up and online assuming you have a dynamic connection.

Problem Solved

Thanks for all your help everyone...

I finally broke down and called my ISP.

The problem was, like stated earlier, the order of my devices. I guess the ISP decided that there could only be one IP address per customer. When the power went out, it reset the cable modem to the new settings. I configured the devices like everyone stated earlier, reset the router and cable modem, and then power them up in the right order, and everything works fine now.

Thanks for all you help again...

Back
Top Bottom