Have one Stupid Questiion!!!!

singh1

Beta member
i've formated my computer recently on NTFS using Windows Xp as an OS, coz i've heard that it lets us provide more security.. What i want is to hide my folder/files from the users vid limited access in my computer.

When every i go to the shared files/folders option by right clicking the mouse on that folder. i try to click on make this folder private. But its always hiddin means i can't click on it!!

Can u plz suggest me, how am i supposed to have hidden files/folders from the other limited users of the same computer.

I think its a bit stupid question, but still a question is a qustion :D

you can stop them form accessing your files if you make your folder private, set your self a password and Windows will ask you to if you want to.

u can make new windows acc for other users and set to ur acc pass and set pass on the folders and that is all u can do some other thing but this is enoug :D

Thank u for the help, but the thing is dat i've already made some new limited accounts. but still when i log in as administrator im not able to get the option of hiddding the files/folders from other limited users!! Nd u were sayin dat u can set a password, how am i supposed to do dat??

right click the folder and it will say sharing and security theres a box that makes the folder private and it will only let you view it if your on your account

You need to learn how to use the security tab. To see the security tab, go to control panel and open Folder options. click on the View Tab and scroll down to where it says "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)." Uncheck that one. then click OK.

Now you should be able to see the security tab when you right click on a folder and click properties. When you are at the security tab. you should see the permissions for the users. Now in your case just click on all the users and click remove. And then click and type in your name. then click on the permission that you want to have.

Now get this...NTFS file are permissions are kinda sensitive so dont mess with them unless you know what you are doing. I learnt it the had way. Of course if you are the administrator you can always replace the permsiions on any file or folder. Read more on NTFS File Sharing in google. Check out these websites for more info and help.

http://searchwindowssecurity.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid45_gci1025656,00.html

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/592/1.html?Ad=1&

Hope this helps.

Thxn a lot for the Help!

Green Cheetah, this was the help i was lookin for !!

love u man :))

Singh

Back
Top Bottom