Graphics card for newer games.

jetmir

Solid State Member
I am going to get half life 2, farcry, doom3, and I was wondering what type of graphics card I should get. Because mine can't handle them right now.

whats your budget? and what kind of pc do you have? do you have agp, pci or pci e? and do u have any favorites or something like that. it all really depends on those factors...

ok why dont you guys just tell him which cards will play those games nice? who cares if his system is going to bottleneck thats not what he asked us. the only question that was worth asking was agp or pci-e who cares about favourites he asked what card would be good. anyway!!!!!

ok the 6600gt will play doom3 very nicely on high settings, it plays CSS very nicely, it plays hl2 very nicely, it plays anything very nicely. requires a 350w psu though. from ATI i wouldnt go below the x800. 6600gt's come in pci-ex and agp. and the x800 im pretty sure comes in both.

ATI have come out with a convertor now that will also let there higher end PCI-E cards play on AGP computers without any problems, since at the moment, PCI-E is not any better than AGP.
Though I'm sure they'll show there generation gap sometime. This will prove to be a good step for ATI.

As for the Geforce 6600GT, this is a great card for todays games and Money_man is right in saying so :D If you can afford along the lines of a 6800GT or Ultra, you'll be playing games for a very long while longer, even if new games come out. You'll still expect to play on high res's, high settings.

Just check around this forum for great news on the 6600 chip ;)

I would advise though to get a mid-range card (6600GT is mid-range) and then you can simply update if your computer becomes too slow again, as its a cheaper option.

Good luck with choosing

yes and if u get a 6600gt just upgrade your mobo to a SLI one and then u can buy another 6600gt and POW your back up to the top!

see david knows what hes talking about:) (j/k it because i provided favours last night that hes on my side)

Yes, definitely get a 6600 GT if you can't afford anything higher, and make sure you get one that will be compatible with your mobo.

Back
Top Bottom