Networking on a dial up

dmfsu2000

Beta member
I was wondering if there was a possibility to have my desktop dial in to my ISP and then use a wireless router to use my laptop aroun the house. What would I have to buy?

what??? why would you want your desktop to use dial-up??

just get the wireless router and hook your desktop up to the router and have your laptop wireless.. that way there both using your broadband connection.

Hey mean...he wants to route his dial up....
for one NO! u cant....for one impossble another....it would be EXTRAMLY SLOW! get Dsl at least i know here sbc offers it fro 20$M/O ...and if you pay a 1 time fee of 50$ theey throw ina home netowrking kit.

Yea.. your dialup wouldnt be fast enough to transmit the signal to your laptop.. the only thing your wireless network would be good for on dialup is to use a printer hooked up to your desktop or wireless print server.. lol

No ones should have dial up....I mean least dsl......dial up is crazy when aol is chargin 25$ even if there softwares HOT! but i like speed better

Google does wonders: http://aurora.wells.edu/~wmccracken/

There's probably another way:

a person could have the desktop dial up, and have the laptop use a wireless interface through hardware ports from the desktop to wireless, to send and recieve data at a faster rate i think.....

edit: nevermind, stupid thought.. i'm wrong..i think...

well if you had skillz you could set up the computers to send a command to the other to access a file and when it recieves a file through the serial port then it runs a command to tell the computer to get an internet file and then the file is sent through the wireless serial connection to the laptop.. but is much complex..

i would suggest DSL. I was using Dial up for the LONGEST TIME!! i hated dial up!! hate hate hate hate hate!! DSL is yummy. mmmmm

With all the time and money spent actually doing a dialup transfer that way, you could've bought DSL for a month and tried it out.

yeah, I'd love to get dsl, I hear ya, but not out in the woods. I'm out where the only two options are dial up and satellite

The easiest way you can possibly to it would be to *purchase* something like Deerfield´s "Wingate" NAT/Proxy software and run it on your machine and hook up an AP (access point) directly to your machine and bind the network interfaces to one another.

Alternativley you can purchase routers with a serial connection for an external 56Kbs modem hookup, however check the box before buys as most use this kind of connection solely as a console port. I used to have one a couple of years ago when cable was very unreliable in the uk, my network would quite happily (but slowly) fall back to 56k.

hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom