network drives issue

drummerdude

Beta member
ok here's the deal...we're on this network and what it does is gives you a network drive according to your username. so in my computer, you see a drive that says:
username$ on servername ( K: )
so anyway, i was wondering if there's a way to get access to another user's "drive" without logging on to their name. these user names are also pretty limited. i know where the folder is on the server where it holds the contents of other users drives, but of course those permissions aren't allowed for other user names. is there anyway around this?

thanks

no, not really, its the same at my school, you are given a network driver, mines p:, there is no other way of accessing another users 'area' unless you have full admin powers. (i assume you have limited powers?, if you have full admin powers, it is a different story)

no you can't those drives are mapped threw the login scripts and have security policies on them.. the only way around it is to be a domain admin.... so go to college get a degree then become the domain/system admin at your school ;)

Why would you want to?

But yeah; like DayDreamer said at any school the Drives are going to be Mapped to Logins, Users and the Security Policies in place. It would involve hacking to get around them and it would be no easier than hacking a corporate Network from the Internet.

my home network is all linux. and I havent used windows for a long time. Im on mandrake right now

I have redhat, mandrake, debian, SuSe, slackware, and gentoo, but I havent used gentoo in a long time. I have a cd I burnt, but I cant find it. its soemwhere in my clutterd 2500 sq ft house!

yea but he won't be able to view the other peoples files due to policy permissions.... getting to the location is simple but accessing it isn't going to happen.

daydreamer said:
yea but he won't be able to view the other peoples files due to policy permissions.... getting to the location is simple but accessing it isn't going to happen.

i second that

Back
Top Bottom