Networking Help

matthiasj

Baseband Member
I really need some advice, I have Earthlink DSL, and we just purchased 2 new computers, a new desktop, and a new laptop. So now we have 3. I want to network all the computers on a Wireless network, but earthlink says i've gotta sign up or something for it, and pay 10 a month extra. I dont see how they can tell i'm doing it, if i just buy a router and stuff, but maybe they could.

So my question is, Would it be possible to just put my router and wireless adapters, and network my computers without any hassle from earthlink? Or are they going to be able to tell, and charge me, or could there be a lock on it that makes it where i cant network?

Any help would be appriciated, cause i wanna get this stuff ordered if i can. I'm not exactly a "novice" when it comes to computers, so anything kinda complicated i can handle, like ways to bypass the security.

Thanks,
Matt

i think that is a joke, if it is real then EARthlink sucks my verizon dsl speed 1.5 mightbe slower than earthlink's but its fast enogh with 180kb/sec. when i sign up for it they give me a free very good router form westell VersaLink reatail~$150, of course there are no free lunches i have to sign a contract of 1year. anyway with you problem and you are using dsl, care not about the earlink angencies(i suggest) and buy a router from linksys because two of my friends are using them and get the speed the wanted ~3 comps all over 3.0ghz. hook the router up and just use it the way you want. if you think Earthlink sucks, just switch its your Own freedom(if you didn't sign any contract with them :) ). what i suggesting here is to buy a router hook it up the way you want to, as i know that earthlink won't know :cool: . i don't call this dishonesty its your freedom you pay for it you do what ever you want that's my view of it, and i won't call the company saying i want to hook up network, i would do it myself without noticing them lol :rolleyes:

thanks for the reply, i bought a shitty Gigafast router off of newegg.com and a TRENDnet Wireless USB adapter, i'm pretty sure TRENDnet has some good stuff.

Anyways, everything hooked up great, but from the router to my comp, which cant be more than 30ft. and i get practically no signal, i get a little. and bother are 802.11g which is suppost to have good signal.

Could the cause be that the router is crap?

one solution i'm going to try is getting a 15ft. USB extension to raise my adapter up higher to where my router is, its 6in from the floor now.

if getting a better router will help i'll do it.

Thanks,
matt

Back
Top Bottom