cant load winxp, but loads SuSe fine ...

trance565

Daemon Poster
ok, recently my 80 gig hdd went out on me, so im RMAing it, and since i had my winxp on it, i had to install on to my 40 gig, but its annoying because when the comptuer turns on, it says, "error loading operating system", but with linux SuSe 9.2 64bit ed. it loads the os perfectly, any suggestions on how to get win xp on this hdd?

Sorry , just noticed this thread..Ist of all, i would go with a larger hhd. a 40gig hhd will lag in speed, depending on which one you have.

Second, I f you are "getting a error loading operating system" it can mean a number of thing's. So let's just go on down the list :

1st) of all is the drive on the end of the I.D.E cable set to master & your jumper's correct ?

2nd) is the boot order set as :

1st boot cd drive
2nd boot floppy drive
3rd hhd

that should be the boot order set in bios, make shure the 1st thing to boot is the Cd rom drive.

3rd) make shure your CD that your installing windows from is clean from debre. smears...ect.

4th) when you make a partition, make shure it is set to active in bios.after the partition is done , then it must be formatted, usually windows will do this automatically.if not after the partition is made..

if it does'nt formatt it for you, then do it by using fdisk at the command prompt formatting..hope that helps.

What is displayed with this error? Any text like, Cannont find xxxxx file or anything. If it just says ERROR! and beeps I cant help. :p

the text it shows is error loading operating system, uhhh i have an 80 gig on the way cuz i had to rma it due to the fact that it died, the boot order is cd hdd ls120 cuz my floppy is mest up, jumper settings are correct, i only use one partition, i use the whole drive insted of making several partitions, i didnt check to see if it was active in the bios, cuz i havent had to before, cuz ive had to reinstall on my 80 gig before, and i ahd to format it and what not, ill try doin that

k, ill try dis later tonite, but i still dun see y i would be able to run linux on it, as im doing rite now, im using my computer with linux on that 40 gig hdd, but i cant run windows ...

When you made the Partition on the 40gig hhd, is it in Fat 32 ot NTFS ? windows is most stable on a Partition made in NTFS.

Back
Top Bottom