Network help

loudog800

Solid State Member
I have 3 computers, 2 are hard-wired into a D-Link DI-624 wireless router. The third is a laptop and connects wirelessly. All computers have internet, the 2 hard-wired are connected via LAN for file and printer sharing. The wireless laptop can connect into the network and browse both hard-wired computers. But this connection appears to be only one way. The hard-wired computers can't communicate (view shared files) with the laptop.

The laptop's LAN settings are disabled because the default device is the ethernet card which isn't being used because it is wireless, however, it uses the wireless network to connect to the other computers.

I read lots of troubleshooting but nothing is helping.

Thanks,
Bob

You can disable the Nic card. Im not sure I understand what you mean by LAN disabled.

I think he means the connection where you would put a cat 5 cable is disabled...

you should still see an active connection though for the network card you are using (wireless)...

what OS are your running, if it's XP with SP 2 installed then you'll need to open some ports.

Yes the laptop is running XP with SP2. as is one of the hard-wired computers. So I need to open ports on the router in order to view the laptops files?? Which ports?

In "my network places" on the laptop there are 2 networks that show. One is called Wireless Network (connected) and the other is Local Area Network (not connected). The wireless network contains the shared files of the other 2 computers. The LAN is disabled because the device it is using is the ethernet card. Do I need to set it so it uses the wireless network for the LAN?

Thanks
BS

This maybe a dumb question but it is an important one. Did you set up file sharing on your laptop? If you didnt XP SP2 Internet Connection Filewall has it disabled by default. Use the Network Setup Wizard and Choose Enable File and Printer Sharing.

Back
Top Bottom