advice on router

tango1

Beta member
Hi I dont know much at all about computers, so if you guys could reply then that would be great. We have a pc upstairs and a pc downstairs only one of the pcs is conected to broadband, the other is just dial up. Basically we want both pcs to be on broadband so we will need to get a router? if we get one will both computers need to be switched on for the internet to work? also if both pcs are being used at the same time we will be able to do our own seperate things on the net without the other person being able to look in? it would be great if someone could reply as i havnt a clue with this sort of stuff plus what is the best make of router to get?

Yes u can surf at the same time
Pay a bit more and buy a cisco router! I think the home ones are called linksky routers or somit Athlon 64 is the one too ask!

You have two ways to do this depending on your provider. If you are on cable such as road runner, they hand out 3 IP's for you. Then you can just get a small 10/100 hub. Your IP will be automatically assigned via DHCP. If you are running DSL, you will only be provided with one IP and your DNS, etc. Then you will need a router and NAT (address translation) you IP's to private addresses. You can do this with cable as well, but again it depends on how much you want to spend. I have a linksys and I have configured D-link's for people, I think Linksys is the better quality and have better support. Cisco purchased Linksys last year, whether you like Cisco or not, so the product is unchanged. I am a CCNP Network engineer and happen to like Cisco equipment. But that isnr answering you question. another thing you will need to keep in mind is wiring, if they are on seperate floors. My network is totally wireless including desktops, no wires is great. Wireless PCI adapters are not all that bad. So, there it is in a nutshell. Let me know what you decide and I can help you configure any solution.

actually linksys's support still wont get back to me about a windows 2000 issue I had with 802.11a I asked them a question about the wireless config and they have never replied. IE5.5 would display script errors, upgraded that to 6.0 on win2000 machine and still had scripting errors, all scripts were turned on on win2000 machine bu still no luck.

the routers config was messed up and a flashing made it worse.

router configs should not have scripting errors!!!!

it was also tried on netscape 6/7 and mozilla/firefocks with no luck ether!!!!

linksys suppoirt never emailed me back or called me. no response form them at all.

What makes you feel it is a router issue. The router does no scripting. 802.11a is pretty much dead at this point and who knows, could it be a Win2000 problem?

nope. xp did the same thing.

not IE alone ether. its the routers firmware that was defective. its up to the programmers of the firmware on that part. and if they goofed its thier fault not MS's

BTW mandrake had same results.

For home-use anytype of router would be fine really... d-link, linksys, netgear, gigafast (actually not gigafast they suck) etc... they all do pretty much the same exact thing.. some are just easier to use than other and layouts are a bit different.

as far as surfing the web.. the router does not "share internet" so to say, as in no your other computer can not view what your other computer is currently doing online. There are ways to do that.. but by defaults, no they don't do that.

The Router you can sort of think as a cable splitter.. its just a way to get 2+ computers online using 1 connection.. same with cable splitters.. you get multiple tv's cable using 1 connection (and when you do that can the other tv's see what your watching? no.) the only way they can see is if you bridge the 2 tv's together and they use the same box. same with computers in a way.. the router is just going to split the 1 connection up to as many as needed.

Back
Top Bottom