Two ISPs, One Router?

Greymonkey

Solid State Member
I wanted to run my new PC off a new, faster line and my old one off my DSL.. but I also wanted to network the machines together so I would have access to both of them. I have a Linksys router and was just wondering if it were possible for me to still have them connected but just not share the same broadband line?

yea its possible... either you use a program to connect them such as PC-Anywhere... or you can create a wan network with csu/dsu's but thats a bit pricey and its kinda of a waste for just a 2 computer network. I'd just use sometype of software to connect the 2.

So then I don't need my router? I thought I could simply get an adapter and maybe alter a setting and the computers could be connected while they just don't share the same ISP

Actually, my problem with using software is that I won't be able to exchange files as fast as I would like so using the router is a definite must

well you could technically have two default gateways if you connect the routers together with a cross over cable
you give the first one something like .1 and then the other one .2 and turn off dhcp on both of them. then all computers would have to be given a address by you and have their default gateway set to the line you want them to use this is assuming you have two dsl lines. if you dont then I need more details from you.

That's just it. I have my own cable line, and then just ordered a new DSL line. I was hoping to just use my Linksys router and buy an adapter for the other computer and then just set them to connect to one another but not utilize the same ISP. Would i still use your same method?

how about just buy another NIC on each computer and cross over cable them together.. that way they'll be networked on a static connection between the 2 nics and have there internet on the other... you can try that.. thats prolly the easiest way to do it

I could do the seperate cards and then plug the adapters into each individual one, though couldn't I?

well i did see a router with the 2 input ports when i was ordering stuff for my potential ISP... but ahh ill look around :p

Back
Top Bottom