Can surf web...just can't download...

Nickmare

Solid State Member
I'm currently running a Linksys 2.4GHz router, model BEFW11S4. I have one wired computer currently plugged into the router, as well as two computers connected wirelessly (desktop and a laptop).

The wired computer -> works perfectly. It is set as DMZ Host right now, because it is used 100% for gaming.

The wireless computers -> Both can surf the web fine, but whenever I try to download a file from Internet Explorer it makes it part way through the download and gives me the message "Connection to the server was reset".

It happens to my laptop even when right next to the router, so I don't think it is interference, or distance issues. I don't have problems when transfering files from one computer to another either, just downloading files from the net.

I had a similar layout in my last home without any sort of problem. Here are some of my router settings:

Firmware: 1.45.10
Wireless: Enable
SSID Broadcast: Enable
Channel: 11
WEP: Disable
WAN Connection Type: Obtain an IP Automatically
DHCP Server: Disable
Block WAN Request: Enable
Multicast Pass Through, IPSec Pass Through, and PPTP Pass Through: Enable
Remote Management: Disable
MTU: Disable
Filter Internet NAT Redirection: Disable
Working Mode: Gateway
--Wireless Settings--
Firmware: 1.1.2
Beacon Interval: 100
RTS Threshold: 1536
Fragmentation Threshold: 2304
DTIM Interval: 1
Basic Rates: 1-2-5.5-11 Mbps
TX Rates: 1-2-5.5-11 Mbps
Preamble Type: Long
Authentication Type: Both
Antenna Selection: Default
Station MAC Filter: Enable

My NIC cards are set to match all fields that apply to a NIC card. Laptop only let's my change the channel though, which is set to 11, of course.

Earlier I was trying to fiddle with MTU. I don't know much about it though, and if I'm not using PPPoE does it affect anything? I asked customer support at Linksys earlier about my downloading problem, and they just told me to change MTU to 1400 (even though I heard 1454 and 1492 were better #s to try) as well as to change my Fragmentation Threshold to 2304, which I had already done beforehand. Either way, nothing I did seemed to work.

Greatly appreciate any help :)

did you install windows xp service pack 2?? that has known problems with linksys wireless routers. also, have you tried downloads with another borwser or downlo client and have the same results.

if so it may be a software bug not related to the router's settings.

and what version of IE are you using, if you do not have windows xp, then IE5.x has that problem.

and also I would suggest you turn your SSID broadcasting off and set your SSID statically and durn DHCP off as well. I would set all statically if possible for extra security.

if possible soemone else may be using your WLAN connection.

Thanx for the response.

This problem is occuring on a desktop that was just reformatted.

Windows XP is being used. No updates such as SP2 (or SP1 for that matter) are installed on it yet, as I haven't been able to download anything on it. IE is version 6. The problem is also occuring on my laptop which already had all Windows Updates installed on it as well.

Tried Firefox (which I downloaded on the computer connected directly to router, and transfered to wireless computer) and had same download problems. Haven't tried much else yet.

Everything was pretty much static already (in TCP/IP settings and what not). Set SSID Broadcast to disabled now. DHCP already turned off.

I am using a MAC Filter right now. I don't think anyone else is messing with my connection...really hope not.

Gonna try some more things, check back with you all tomorrow.

Nope, no firewalls.

Sat down today with a fresh head. Kept an eye out on the router logs today as I fiddled around, and whaddya know. The wirelessly connected desktop computer with a fresh reformat/install of Win XP had outgoing traffic on port 445 and 135.

Now, I'm definately not an expert in these things, but it struck me as strange. If I had a worm or virus of any kind I definately didn't expect it to be on the computer I just reformatted. I turned the desktop off, and sure enough the laptop's downloads started working fine. But why did it never affect my computer connected directly to the router?

I'm thinking, the wirelessly connected desktop was reformatted and had Windows XP installed on it...but none of the security updates would have been on it at all thus making it vulnerable ...and before I could even download/install the updates I was hit with a worm of some sort, and therefore I couldn't download anything let alone the security updates.

So what do you think. Is this completely crazy, or am I on to something? What are ports 445 and 135 and would they normally have outgoing traffic?

This is what I am going to try right now:
- Remove the wireless desktop from the MAC filters, and not give it any Internet access
- Reformat and reinstall Windows XP again
- Download updates on another computer and burn it onto a CD
- Install the updates onto the wireless desktop
- Unleash the wireless desktop to the Internet
- Rejoice because it worked (hopefully)

it worked

So it worked if anybody is interested.

I've now made a CD with service packs and various security updates to update computers before I ever connect them to the Internet, and I suggest anyone that is planning to do a fresh reformat/install do the same to ensure you are getting a completely clean computer.

yep a unpatched system can not stay clean for longer then 3 minutes on the internet these days. so always turn on the windows firewall before you get online for the updates.

Back
Top Bottom