good wifi connection but cannot access internet!

brobiche

Solid State Member
I just got a sony viao with built-in Wifi. It says I have excellent connection to wireless newtworks (from my home, from school, from coffee shops, etc) but when I am unable to access the internet or use my outlook express or aol. What is going on?

What OS are you using?

You need to check if you are getting an IP for your PC ? Obtain auto if that particular access point has DHCP enabled.

IF not you would have to manually input IP's for PC and DNS servers for that hotspot.

Also are you running any firewalls?

Also some hot spots have WEP enabled and you would need the SSID key to hope on there Network.

RUNNING Windows XP Pro.
Yes I have IP numbers. Checked them all too. Tried going to MS-Dos and releasing all, and resetting, still nothing. I have tried with and without firewalls enabled and nothing. I have tried accessing the internet from places where I know I have access-like on campus. Even on campus, they say I have all my IP addresses and everything correct and they can see me on the network yet I cannot use internet or aol or outlook.

what range is the Ip's your getting?

try pinging 127.0.0.1? results?

Did you try to access wired?

If you can access from wired possibly it can be your wireless NIC is faulty.

Also a quick check would be to ping another computer that is on the same network. If you are getting an IP form that network you should be able to ping another computer. The other thing would be to insure you are setup for DCHP and your DNS is learned automatically. Next time you are at school go to the cmd prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and compare that with another persons "working" machine and see if everything matches. The IP's wont match but should be in the same IP range.

Back
Top Bottom