Picking up WIFI

whatina'ell

Solid State Member
I have recently moved into a new house. I noticed that when I booted my computer I was picking up a wireless signal from someone in the neighborhood using an unsecured router? Since this is being broadcasted with no security in place can I use this? In other words, is it legal to use this internet connection since it is available? Also, I was told that the router that I own would act as an acess point an just boost the signal if there was already an wireless internet signal present. This has not been the case. I have picked up the signal with my wireless card on my desktop then ran an ethernet cable to the router which it turn distributes the signal out. If this is legal I am planning to use an older CPU to pickup the signal to run into the router so that all of my other computers can ramain behind my personal router.

There are no laws that say you can't do it. However, it's generally considered something you shouldn't do.

You could do it, and remain perfectly anonymous, of course, so if whoever owns it were to find out someone was using it, they wouldn't know it was you.

It is like entering someones open door and use his house for yourself but without stilling.

Also you should check if his WEP is oppend couse the signals you recieve don't say enything the router can be protected nonetheless

Network Stumbler will give you comprehensive information about any wireless network within reach of you. It'll give you the SSID, channel, type, strength, and encryption, if any.

It's really easy to use. Just install it, run it, and press the play button to start scanning.

AirSnort is a nifty little program that can be used to crack WEP encrypted networks. It sniffs out "weak" packets and compiles them until it can eventually determine the WEP key. The only downside is that it can take a _really_ long time to sniff out enough weak packets to get the key.

It's hompage is: http://airsnort.shmoo.com/
You can read more, and download it there. Last I checked it on ran on Linux.

Edit:
I guess there's a Windows port now.

well... there is but the FCC in america is stupid about alot of thhings... your supposed to acuire a license after 5.6 Ghz. or 5.2 ghz... but who cares?

another thing,, You can't use your wireless router as an AP to boost the signal..

You cannot use your router to boost the signal, but their are boosters available. But the whole thing with this is that it is his problem if he is not using any encryption, but it doesn't mean either that tomorrow he will and you won;t be able to pick up that signal anymore. So I won't take it wihile it passes but wouldn't rely on it. He may have an over consumption bill because you are using it to download musec, movies etc. Use it with moderation and you may have free internet for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom