Firewall or Virus Protection?!

epihammer

Baseband Member
I am curious on what is more important, a firewall or virus protection? I would think that a good firewall and common sense would prevent viruses from getting on your computer. Please tell me your thoughts!!!!
I should also add that this is for a personal computer that isn't used everyday.

Thanks,
The Hammer

You cant survive with just one, both are vital as long as you spend money although others will disagree and say that the free ones are just as good. Its your choice but i would agree Norton internet security is the best

A firewall opens and closes ports. Some of them block known viruses. I am not sure if norton does. An antivirus scans your computer for known viruses. Norton also scans incomming and outgoing packets for viruses.

I would recommend that you use both a firewall and an antivirus.

Or you could get a whole package like Norton internet security/mcafee security centre, it costs more/nothing but has more features

epihammer said:
I am curious on what is more important, a firewall or virus protection? I would think that a good firewall and common sense would prevent viruses from getting on your computer. Please tell me your thoughts!!!!
I should also add that this is for a personal computer that isn't used everyday.

Thanks,
The Hammer

I would definetly use both, so what one don't catch ....the other will.

both of course... they both do different deeds.

there completely different.. firewall protects from unwanted intruders and antivirus protects from infected files from getting on your computer.. .both are critical network securities... you should use both, and even if using both your still not 100% protected... now you need a good spam filter (not some built in spam filter), which is another way how viruses spread. You should actually want to use multiple forensic tools for security not just the basic firewall and antivirus... but if its for personal networks at home then the basics will be fine.

in my opinion...

what i think is better is that mcafee is acutally better than norton anti virus protection because of how the way the program is more user-friendly and less complecated. maybe norton is more thorough than macafee but i use mcafee and i am just fine.

epihammer said:

Thanks,
The Hammer

Well it depends on what kinda person you are if your going to be online all the time, going to hacking forums, and reading alot, I would have both to prevent any type of mishap and keep your computer safe.
Now if you get online every now and then just for a few minutes for school then you can get away with one or another.

Back
Top Bottom