IP conflict?

crazyjoe16

In Runtime
okay i have 2 computers networked (both with xp) and one computer's internet is recieved through the other computer. now the network and internet and everything will work great for a pretty long time....then suddenly randomly out of nowhere the internet and network stops working and i get an error message saying: "windows - system error: there is an IP address conflict with another system on the network". so then i have to go through hell (doing network setup wizard and restarting a million times) until i finally get it to work again and then after a little while it will happen again....this is getting really annoying and i have no clue what the problem is....am i being hacked or something? hmmmm...any help would be nice and greatly appreciated :D

do you have internet connection sharing activated on both computers? becouse if you do only the one with the modem should have it and the other one should have it disabled.

i actually don't have ICS on any of the computers... i just networked both with the option "this computer is part of a network with no internet connection" and once they were setup, they just automatically started sharing. i didn't activate anything....

make sure that that teh windows net setup didnt make both of them have the same IP!! its done this 3 times to me allready!

I also suggest you buy a router, much easier to manage!

the problem is you can't buy a router with a modem in it :) well atleast not at your local parts store.

well see...the problem is i do have a router....but when i have both computers hooked up to it, they both get internet, but then it doesn't allow me to share files. so i am forced to connect the 2 computers with a crossover cable, which allows me to share files and share internet...then whenever that ip conflict error box comes up, both computers can't access the internet but they can still share files.

well that is becouse windows file sharing has nothing to do with ip address at all the reason you most likely cant share files through the router is windows file sharing does not go through routers, its a safety feature. so your best option would be to go buy a hub or a switch or something and then hook both computers to that and then hook the switch to the router. routers are designed to seperate networks really not make part of its a common thing people do though they get a 4 port router and think it will work like a switch or a hub..

damn.....if only there was some universal router that served as a modem, router, and a switcher.....well thanks for the help. switchers are only like 10 bucks aren't they?

actually here's a diagram of how everything is set up:

internet >>> modem >>> wireless router >>> wireless computer >>> nonwireless computer

now if i use the other router i have which isn't wireless it would be like this:

internet >>> modem >>> wireless router >>> wireless computer >>> router >>> nonwireless computer & any other computers i decide to connect to my network

you see my wireless router is in another room (because my dumb parents got it all installed in their room). if it weren't in my parents room i wouldn't be having this problem.....heh

vegaslon said:
well that is becouse windows file sharing has nothing to do with ip address at all the reason you most likely cant share files through the router is windows file sharing does not go through routers, its a safety feature. so your best option would be to go buy a hub or a switch or something and then hook both computers to that and then hook the switch to the router. routers are designed to seperate networks really not make part of its a common thing people do though they get a 4 port router and think it will work like a switch or a hub..

it sure can go though routers!!! :p

just make sure youre within the same workgroup and your IPs are all in teh same range, then right click on the deisrred shared folder and youre shared!!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom