How accurate is the IP adress.

comfortablynumb

Beta member
Hey, there is a moderator on a forum I post and and we recently discovered his IP adress (at least according to this site: http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation
) was from Toronto, while he claimed to be from Detriot. After doing this test on the other moderators all of their real locations and locations by their IP matched up (except one member who had AOL and was under a proxy, it didn't show his specific city but it did show "UK"), and I was wondering if there is anyway someone could alter their IP adress, how accurate that IPLocator is or any other possible ways this members IP adress could show up as wrong. If it helps, his IP showed up as PROXY = FALSE.

Another mod posted this:

"The computers registry could be from Toronto, but he could still live in Detroit. It could have been computer data sent from Canada to the States. (hence Computer registry)"

I was wondering if that is true.

Sorry I'm pretty new to this stuff so please bare with me...and sorry if this is the wrong section.

Thanks for your time!

Someone is a Pink Floyd fan.....Cool, I love pink floyd, he makes some wicked ass music.....

Sorry had to throw that in there....

~mr mixx~ said:
Someone is a Pink Floyd fan.....Cool, I love pink floyd, he makes some wicked ass music.....

Sorry had to throw that in there....

Yeah, Pink Floyd is the greatest, but they are a band and not a single person. They consist of David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Richard Wright, Roger Waters (Left after The Final Cut) and Syd Barret (For their first two albums)

Pink Floyd and Rockers and Rappers and Hip-Hoppers and Poppers and that sort of thing really piss me off :D

GO HANS ZIMMER, HOWARD SHORE AND JOHN WILLIAMS! :D

Lord Kalthorn said:
Pink Floyd and Rockers and Rappers and Hip-Hoppers and Poppers and that sort of thing really piss me off :D

Now, what did you have to go and say that for ?? I can't believe you are not a Pink Floyd fan.....Lol

Well, to each his own....I will allway's love my classic Rock & Pop Rock.
Can't stand the head banging crap though....or country

Why all the prattling on about the group pink floyd?, they are probably good, I've heard of them, they're not my music choice, but I thought we were discussing the now ex-member,
I accessed the Geobytes link, entered the member's IP, it gives the location as Melbourne Australia, this is presumably the group?, interestingly, the accuracy of this result is given as "93%"

Edit Apologies, firstly, I've done it again, I didn't notice the two year old date of this thread, [yeah yeah, I know, I know, look before you leap!]

Maurice said:
Why all the prattling on about the group pink floyd?, they are probably good, I've heard of them, they're not my music choice, but I thought we were discussing the now ex-member,
I accessed the Geobytes link, entered the member's IP, it gives the location as Melbourne Australia, this is presumably the group?, interestingly, the accuracy of this result is given as "93%"

Edit Apologies, firstly, I've done it again, I didn't notice the two year old date of this thread, [yeah yeah, I know, I know, look before you leap] also I entered my IP AT Geobytes clicked "go", & got the same location as was given for pink floyd.

was wondering the same thing...i do like the floyd though.

Back
Top Bottom