F**ked up CD drive.

Heero

Solid State Member
Fucked up CD drive.

Hey guys, I was playing a computer game on a CD a few months ago, it was a pretty old starcraft CD and it all of a sudden exploded into 100 pieces in my CD drive. Luckily I have 2 CD drives, because I cleaned most of the pieces out but I am assuming there are more pieces farther in the drive that are preventing the disk drive from closing. Every time I try to close the disk drive it reopens, so I am pretty sure there is a piece of the CD blocking it. I have still been able to use the other drive, but I am worried dust may be getting into my computer, which is fairly new, less than a year old and is pretty good so I know it is not my computer that cause the disk to break. The reason it broke was probably because it is 5 years old and I used to play it non-stop and still have played it often recently. What do you guys think I should do to fix my CD drive, would you recommend opening up my computer and removing the drive, then cleaning the pieces out?

Well.....removing the CD drive is really trivial...you shouldn't have a problem with that...but I think that if the cd "exploded into 100 pieces" , there might be microscopic pieces on the lens and everything so you might have trouble using it alltogether.

Yeah if the CD drive doesn't work due to microscopic pieces, I would not be too disappointed, I just mainly want the damn thing to close so that Its not letting dust in and sticking out the whole time, since I have another Drive.

Is that plastic piece u talked about free? Also if i did get microscopic pieces on the lens (im not at the house with the messed up drive on the computer so can't take the drive out till tonight) Also is there anything I should know about removing the drive, I cant find my computer's instruction manual, and I dont want to mess up my computer because it is new and there is no way in hell I will be allowed to get a new one if this one doesnt work. Is there a risk that something may go wrong? By the way this isnt my first time to go inside a computer and mess with it.

Ah shit nvm, the new CD Drive would be 90 dollars (found on EMachines site) and I am saving up for a laptop and don't want to have to buy a new drive if the one I am having problems with is dead.

Ah shit nvm, the new CD Drive would be 90 dollars (found on EMachines site) and I am saving up for a laptop and don't want to have to buy a new drive if the one I am having problems with is dead. Do you guys find any problems that could occur with me using the DVD Drive for CDs? If it may cause problems I may have to buy a new CD Drive.

Back
Top Bottom