Creating A Server

tyledogg

Baseband Member
hey am new to setting up servers etc but aint new to home networking. What im looking to do is turn my old computer into a server so i can play multiplayer games on it etc back up my other 3 computers etc etc. Ive got all the equipment needed i think, a router, 4 networking cables. If i need any other equipment please tell me.

So what am looking to find out is what software do i need to setup a server and what equipment do i need?

Thanks in Advance

If you're doing that you'd need a Server Operating System - like Windows XP Server. Generally its quite expensive; don't know how much.

what do you plan on doing? gaming server? office server? gaming server, winxp would be good. if office server, i suggest win2k(or better).

this is what i want to do:

Setup a home server so that all my files are stored on the server then when i logon to any one of my computers the files will downloaded off the server on the computer that i have logged onto.

add me on msn messenger if you can help or point me in the right direction: tyle_dogg@hotmail.com

depending what games you play linux has been known to cut it quite well in a gaming server position.

personally id use openbsd if its just for office crap (ftp, scp, ssh, http, irc, IMd's etc..). once it starts cranking itll stay cranking for a very very long time, even when you dont bother to update it :)
(just dont install cvsd)

any server edition of windows will cost you more then the computer is worth i imagine. (then theres the fun of having your server being broken faster then you can download from windows update).

windows 2003 server is going for under £80 on ebuyer.com (OEM)

have you guys heard of linux? or freebsd? :) free, and ummmm that's what most servers use ;) i'd recommend gentoo 2004.1

Back
Top Bottom