Server Question. Help Please!

Monsta

Beta member
Can anyone answer a few questions about servers as I dont really have a clue.

I would like to have a home multimedia server, used to store and play mostly media files, DVD's music and used to watch Digital TV. Is it possible to have just the one machine, wired to Screens throughout the house and have several people (say 4) use this to play a DVD's or music or whatever in each room in the house? I realise in an office environment clients have their own desktop machine and use this to access the server, so would my setup be possible?

If possible, would you need multiple graphics/video cards?

Any general advice or pointers to some useful reading would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Andy

Thanks man. Anyone done this, or anything similar before? Or seen any setup like this? Its for a project Im working on, need to show it can be done before I go any further!! Ta

All sony vaios have this kinda thing built in...

If you can get the sony software then im sure you'd be laughing ;)

Just let the clients have their own machines, and store all the information on the server. That would work.

Monsta said:
Thanks man. Anyone done this, or anything similar before? Or seen any setup like this? Its for a project Im working on, need to show it can be done before I go any further!! Ta

The Server idea is the best, in my opinion. But you will need Televisions with an S-Video In Port, or a Scart to S-Video Converter (if you can get them) otherwise the Graphics Card of the Computer won't send images out to the Screen. Also, you're going to need good graphics Cards or at least ones which can power about 1500 x 1200 Screen Resolutions enough; or you could get terrible images stretched across the screen.

Back
Top Bottom