Converted fat 16 to 32

MoodyBlooEyes

Beta member
Ok..you're going to love this one! My friend that knows little to nothing about computers got a Gateway Laptop. It has a 2.5g hd running win98. She converted fat 16 to fat 32 and Lord knows what else she has done. She brought it to me and asked me to install Win ME. When I ran setup it made it to 10% complete and failed. The error says Win ME cannot install files to this computer due to an existing compressed drive. Not having dealt with this issue before I figured I should seek expert help. I checked out many of these forums and this one caught my eye. Please tell me I chose the right one. I just want to get this thing fixed so she will go home!!! LOL

Thanx,
Moody

Ok, so the whole drive is fat32 now. Are there any other partitions you can install the boot sector of win ME on? Have you tried re-installing Win 98 to correct the drive problems.

Thanks for choosing this forum!
Dave.

It is possible that your friend may have compressed the drive so you may have to format it before installing winME

Ok...the drive has only 1 partition and I already tried formatting it. everything seemed to be in order when I ran winme setup but then again I'm no expert lol

Ok this is what i have! I ran fdisk and it said 1 active partition fat16. then i ran setup and let winme format the drive. Setup failed again and out of curiosity I ran fdisk to view the partition and it flashes at the bottom 'Unable to access Drive 1'. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanx,
Moody

Thank You all for your help....I took Davids advice and reinstalled 98 and everything is fine. I also told her next time she wanted to change something in the system.....DON'T!!! lol

Thanks Again,
Moody

Back
Top Bottom