Dvd drive

Kali

Baseband Member
MY DVD-ROM isn't reading DVD's or CD-R's it only takes manufactured CD's??? It starts spinning but doesn't actually go... like the TOC aren't there. Then after about a minute of trying it gives up and stops. If I try clicking on it it gives me:
D:/ is not accessible
Retry / Cancel

I've tried disabling DMA without any change. It's less than a year old... is it already junk?:confused:?

Spec's are:
Win 98se
AMD 700 KT-7 RAID
256 sdRAM
Nvidia Geforce2MX
Hi Val 16x DVD
Pacific Digital 24X
E-mu APS

Personally.. I have experienced the exact same thing with my Mitsumi ...

From my experience your CD drive is shot ... I have gone through 3 of them over the past couple of years ... The higher the speed the shorter the lifespan from what I have seen ...

If you put labels on your CD's that are not circular then you are really shortening the life - the CD spins very fast in a 48X drive and it will actually be wobbling if your CD is unbalanced ...

I recommend you buy a new drive.. install it and if everything works then you know for sure the old one was shot ... CD drives are very inexpensive these days and wasting more of your time on this is probably not worth it ...

Sincerely
CourtneyDS

Thanks for replying

Courtney-I've never used CD's with any sticky labels on them. C'mon give me a little credit here.

It's actually taking CD-R's fine now, just not DVD's. Well the last time I tried a DVD (2 days ago) it actually started to go. I watched the Columbia Pictures intro then... I got blue screen of death. It's very strange.

David- No I haven't tried a cleaner... seems they are fairly cheap too. Guess that's my next step. And yes i know the written CD's are error free, I have a second dedicated DAW PC, and it reads them fine. and NO I can't test out the DVD player on it... it's not a troubleshooting PC.

Another thing that has gone haywire is my old slave HD that I had on the last setup, well the PC won't take it. I hook it up and it goes thru the boot sequence recognized and then nothing. Sit's at C: in DOS, but DOS isn't usable.

"Dude, next time I'm gettin a Dell":rolleyes:

Ok now I'm truly baffeled. It played a DVD ok on the monitor via auto-insert. I closed the program (PowerDVD) and tried playing it by manually starting the prog and it killed the PC. Restarted with the TV hooked up and not the monitor and the DVD wouldn't go. So I restarted with both hooked up and again it wouldn't go. So it'll occasionally play DVD's with the monitor only using auto-insert but not at all with the TV.
This is so weird.:confused:

bump
u guys remeber this thread...i gurantee that someone is goin tom get pissed off that i bumped this as a joke..but i just was looking at these threads its preety funny..lol

Someone who? Do ppl really get pissed off over forum crap? :rolleyes:
This is funny? :confused:

I bet no one remembers this thread... hell, even I didn't.

an Update:
I've been thru 3 complete PC upgrades sice thread and now live in Oregon.

Kali said:
Spec's are:
Win 98se
AMD 700 KT-7 RAID
256 sdRAM
Nvidia Geforce2MX
Hi Val 16x DVD
Pacific Digital 24X
E-mu APS

Wow, actually I still am using that trusty old Nvidia card but everything else was garbage long ago.

Back
Top Bottom