email attachments

albone

Baseband Member
Can anyone shed any light on a friend of our's problem? When we send him emails with attachments he is unable to read them. His brother in law also sends him items and the only way he seems to be able to read those is to copy them to disk and read them that way! It has me baffled. I wondered if it is his set up on the mail server but can't see why. We use incredimail and the brother in law uses outlook though ntl. The friend is freeserve. Thanks in advance for any help.:confused:

I'd say you have a system setup in incredimail to stop you opening attachments that could be harmful to your computer. Have a look and see if that is it.

Sorry David, you miss understood It is I that has the incredimail he has (I think outlook as he's running win 95) and I know I have asked him if he has his security ticked on do not save or open attachments. and he asures me its not. so HELP! We can recieve them back from him no problems and his emails are able to get to us! but sending him anything as an attachment is a no go!

So what happens when he tries to open one, an error?, nothing? Maybe he has got his temporary internet allocation realy small so he has to save it to disk before he can open it.

That's an interesting thought! I am hoping to have a look at his set up in the near future to see if I can get any idea of what the hassle is. But for now I am looking for any ideas as to what it could be, as it is like looking for a needle in a haystack otherwise.
But he gets (he says) what looks like its written for another program ie all dotts and squiggles like computer language. This when he sends it over to Word in office 97. But when we had his disk we were able to read it perfectly.(we run office 97 but with xp) So it sounds like a security or set up problem to me but were to look. He is running Nortons anti vi. on a win 95 os.

out of curiosity how would I find out what is set asside for that? and what is on average the norm? :eek:

Go to control panel > Internet options and in the middle of the dialog box is a temporary internet section, click settings and you should see a slider with the minimum of 1m. Try increasing it and see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom