Website counters?

cantona

Daemon Poster
Hi

I am just wondering how to add one of those website counters (that count how many people on your website) to my website which is: web.netcall.com.au/vflover/

Thanx

PS. Just to clarify the vflover stands for violent femmes (a band) lover okedokey.

try googling website counter or sumthing like that and youll get some links to pages that have the free html code of a webcounter availible to put on ur website. Thats an easy way to do it, although the user will probably be directd to the site of whoever made the counter if they click on it.

right...

this gives me a plan...
As a small test site I'll be setting up a web counter generator...

The end result would be a small gif image with some numbers obviously...

The only reason I post here, is tell me what kind of features you'd require in a web counter...

Do you want to log the times people are visiting, are graphs needed (time vs. traffic) do you need the addresses or any thing like that of the people that are visiting.

do you need to count individual hits, are you concerned about the language defaults etc of the people you are recieving traffic from?

do you want all your pages listed, or individual counters for each page...

Give me some ideas of what the perfect counter would be that enables you to get the most from your site, and I'll have go at making one for you.

Basically, you could have unique hits as well as total hits. If you want to make things complicated then you might put graphical presentation about the baud traffiic but of course this optional. If you want, put a weekly or monthly summary of total hits and unique hits on your counter.

Root Thankyou very much

let me see now that i have been given such a wide range it is hard to decide)...well id like a counter that showed the address of the ppl that have gone on my site and probably the only other specification i could think of is a counter for each page.

Thanx

PS if you have any good ideas for the counter feel free to add them anyway.

Thanx again

I'm going to add a counter to this page...

Once I've made a signup page I'll allow people to open up free accounts for having counters on their pages.

.gif

if you look at the link for that I have included a little hack to make this forum display pictures generated from PHP...

but it can still be linked in the following way (http://counters.kathulu.co.uk/counter.php?counter=2) as well. if you happened to be linking from a normal page where you could put whatever you liked between image tags.

the counter currently logs additional information for each hit in the form of:

Date
Time
IP adderss
Users browser language.

and I've decided I'll also log the browser agent, this may be useful if you had say a mozilla fan site and wanted to know how many IE users were looking at your site etc...

Counters can be any font and any foreground/background colour...

if I get really bored I may even support numbers on top of images. (but I'm not hosting the images!!!)

Anyway... that's not bad for a lunch times work...
I may write the sign up page and any help pages later... (if I get bored again)....

(lets see from now how many people are browsing in this thread!!!)

Back
Top Bottom