Opinion on coding camps

petershene

Baseband Member
Pesonally i think there are enough resources on the internet to earn coding , and to learn various methods and not one method with a inherent weakness. Part of becoming a programmer is learning there are multiple ways to achieve a function , multiple way to solve a problem, but not all are equal and some apply more according to circumstance. What im saying in a nutshell is you need to develop a good knowledge base but more importantly develop you problem solving and logic skills , that cannot be taught in my opinion only practised.

When somebody is handing you code what thinking do you really do?

I went thru a coding program similar to the coding camps you are talking about back in 1986. I assure you that nobody handed me any code. I doubt that there are any programs out there that simply hand you working code.

I think it's a good way to find out if it is something you're interested in or a great continuing-education-style option, but I can't imagine that it's a good way to learn a language from top top bottom.

Maybe if you know a similar language and you just want to make a small jump. Like C to C++ sort of jump.

Most classes and training programs simply provide you with a foundation to get started. In depth knowledge of just about any subject comes after using and applying it in real world situations.

Most classes and training programs simply provide you with a foundation to get started. In depth knowledge of just about any subject comes after using and applying it in real world situations.

Look i don't think they just "hand you code" but whats presented there is essentially being spoofed in a way ( perhaps not in 86") but education has changed. To me this is the opposite of what a programmer needs , to learn analyze a problem and use logic to problem solve. To sit and struggle for days thinking about a problem in various different ways. It may not be the fastest way to learn the language but its the fastest way to train the brain to think in
the correct manner. (language changes all the time anyway , logic doesn't.

I know many people who dont know all that impressive amounts of coding language but they have incredible logic skills and i gaurentee you if you hand them some code theyl pick it up quick and solve your problem for you , faster than somebody who has the whole of a language recited in his head but doesn't know the most inner working of it.

I found these people often know the answer to common problems which is great ( so does stack overflow) but if presented with something where actual analysing and a unique solution is required , they come very short.

It's funny how programming languages are just a secondary tool when it comes to programming. However, this is not new at all. Any programming book will tell you the same thing. Solving problems is what programming is really about, not learning a specific language (even though you'll obviusly need to learn one, or at least work with someone that does if you want to get stuff done).

Unfortunately, hiring managers seem to forget that fact when hiring programmers. They demand that you know a particular language. It's really fool hardy. If someone is a good programmer (logically thinking problem solver) then they can learn ANY language.

Unfortunately, hiring managers seem to forget that fact when hiring programmers. They demand that you know a particular language. It's really fool hardy. If someone is a good programmer (logically thinking problem solver) then they can learn ANY language.
Yeah that's the idea. Anyone can learn any language, but not everyone is an efficient problem solver. Knowing a language is no merit if you don't know how to use it.

It's funny how programming languages are just a secondary tool when it comes to programming. However, this is not new at all. Any programming book will tell you the same thing. Solving problems is what programming is really about, not learning a specific language (even though you'll obviusly need to learn one, or at least work with someone that does if you want to get stuff done).

I love the first line of this , its basically what im saying without the logic and problem solving ability in your head... languages can never be used to their fullest potential, and yes hiring mangers arent always clued up on what they are doing either

Back
Top Bottom